1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help! Windows 7 won't load on this laptop (factory reset doesn't help)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kerr Avon, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Thread Starter

I've been passed a laptop to sort out, which was full of malware, Windows (7) running slowly and occasionally crashing, the usual state of a machine used by someone clueless and apathetic about computer security. I was told I could just reformat it, as he doesn't want anything off it saving, so I tried resetting it to the factory default, which seemed to work, but when Windows booted up, it just stuck in the Windows 7 loading screen (black screen, with the four colour flag thing).

I tried safe mode, but it also crashes/gets stuck whilst loading - the last file it lists in the loading screen is

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

I retried factory reset, with the same results, so I tried to install Windows 7 on to the laptop from my Windows 7 DVD, in case the factory reset image on the laptop had somehow gotten corrupt, but again Windows locks up (or goes into an infinite wait state, whatever it is), and now I can't even access factory reset, as the (non-working) install on the laptop didn't add the option, of course.

I've tested the physical memory (MEMTEST86+) and the hard drive, and they both give no errors, and I've reset the BIOS to it's original settings (a million to one chance that that was the fault, but I tried anyway), so can anyone suggest anything, please?

The laptop is a Samsung np305e5a-a03uk, Windows 7 64-bit, AMD A6 3420M CPU, 6GB RAM.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The same version and bit I presume

If so does the install DVD recognise the windows installation and if so what does repair your computer
    startup repair
    show

Re

actually crashes sometimes or - hangs on that entry

3. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Thread Starter

I can't remember, sorry. I'll check when I get home.

Sorry, I don't understand the distinction, what's the difference between crashes and hangs, please? I'd say 'hangs', as it seems to just stop there and do nothing (no hard drive activity, no change to the screen display, etc).

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Samsung NP305E5AI (NP305E5A-A03UK) Notebook

Scroll down to Downloads & Manuals.

Right-click on User Manual (Windows 7), then choose to save it, then choose a location to save the Win7_Manual_eng.pdf file.

After it's been saved, use Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader to open and view it.

Its backup/restore instructions are on pages 88 - 99.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Thread Starter

Nevermind, the owner said he'd buy a new laptop, so I've given this one back to him. Thanks for all of the responses, anyway.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice