1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help windows 98 wont start someone tried installing XP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by swa2b41, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swa2b41

swa2b41 Thread Starter

Hello,
    First and foremost thank you for taking the time to see if you can help me. My computer skills are medium. I am not afraid to follow directions but do need clear ones. Okay here is the dilemma: someone gave me a computer and it has no CD's with it all, just a CPU, and when I start it I have 2 options to choose from which is windows xp install or windows so I choose install to see what is what and somene started an install but stopped midway through so I go back choose the other option and get the following errors;

Windows has detected a registry/configuration error, Choose command prompt only and run SCANREG.

The following files are missing or corrupted; c:\windows\HIEM.sys
    The following files are missing or corrupted; c:\windows\DBLBUFF.sys
    The following files are missing or corrupted; c:\windows\IFSHLP.sys
    The following files are missing or corrupted; WIN.COM

C:\>
    Cannot find WIN>COM unable to continue loading windows
    C:\>

So I type in SCANREG and I get bad command or file name

so I type dir/w/p and I see there is three windows directories one is win98 one is windows and one is windows1 when I open the windows 98 directory there is a bunch of cab filese and other stuff.

My question is: is there a way to get that partial xp set up off and just restore this computer to windows 98. I would like to make it a working computer to give away to someone at my church that cannot afford a computer... Again thanks for your time

Je....

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi starting the Xp install may not have been the best move.
    Do you have a Win 98 Cd?
    In the 98 Windows directory do you have setup exe cabs files?

3. swa2b41

swa2b41 Thread Starter

I didn't start that install but anyway I do have an xp upgrade cd would that do me any good? I looked in the 98 dir. and there is no setup.exe there is a oemsetu.exe but that told me to put in a win98 boot disk and hit ctrl alt dlt and then setup would begin but that didn't happen so I don't know what the deal is could I put win95 on it then run the xp upgrade? I may just put unbuntu on it and call it a day any more thoughts? Jen...

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi you can use your Xp upgrade Cd..
    Check.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941
    Note If your Windows XP CD-ROM is an upgrade, you are prompted to insert a CD-ROM of a previous operating system to verify upgrade compliance.
    Read all info.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You said you have a Windows XP "upgrade" CD. Do you have the 25-digit product code for it?

Do you also have a Windows 98 or Windows ME CD, and is it an "upgrade" or "full" version?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the processor type and speed?

How much RAM is installed?

What is the size of the hard drive?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice