1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help wireless modem!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Shaneb10, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shaneb10

Shaneb10 Thread Starter

Well I've angered the gods by commiting the cardinal sin of unplugging my wireless modem and now it won't do anything. Please help! It's a netgear and when it starts up the power light is amber. It flashes a 1 and then just the power light stays amber and nothing happens. I don't have a PC connected to it. Just phones and video games and TVs. My kids are driving me crazy with nothing to do and all our entertainment is crashed! Begging for help lol

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  3. Shaneb10

Shaneb10 Thread Starter

It is n300, it also says wnr2000 v4. My ISP is charter but their modem works fine. It's the netgear that's not working right

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    NETGEAR N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v4

I'm not a networking expert, so TerryNet or etaf or one of the others here will need to help you.

Good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Typically this indicates a hardware or firmware fault.
    Power it off for at least 90 seconds and then power back on to see if it works.The LED for power should stay amber between 20-60 seconds before it turns green during initial boot up

If no, then you need to do a factory reset. On the backside of the router you should see a small red circle with a hole. You need a paper clip or something similar to push in the reset button and hold for 10 seconds then let go. This is going to reset the router back to factory defaults so you are going to have to set it backup as if it was brand new.

6. Shaneb10

Shaneb10 Thread Starter

Can I do that without a computer? I didn't have one when I initially set it up so I imagine I can but I don't have instructions anymore

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Should be able to, on the backside of the router should pertain a sticker with the information for logging back into the router after the factory reset. Also when powering off the router I was referring to unplugging it from the power source (wall outlet/ power strip). Attached picture should be whats on the backside of the router.

If you have a power button on the back of the router make sure it pushed in also.

Attached Files:

8. Shaneb10

Shaneb10 Thread Starter

Holy facepalm batman! >=\ I did what you said with the unplugging and plugging and such. Nothing. So I tried to push the reset button with a paper clip like u said but when I pushed the button inside there it just broke and the paper clip pushed right through into the inside if the router. Argh! Gonna go find a wall to beat my forehead against. =(

9. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

That's not good. So is the paper clip inside the router?

10. Shaneb10

Shaneb10 Thread Starter

No but the reset button is bouncin around inside

11. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Did the router restart or what is it currently doing?

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A small phillips head screwdriver or a pointed wooden dowel would've been better than a paper clip.

And it doesn't take a lot of force to push in the reset button.

-----------------------------------------------------

13. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

I only said paper clip based off of what the manual said but typically I just use a pen because I always have one on me. Looking at the inside of the router I'm guessing the plastic housing came out of place and most likely would pop right back in. Let alone the router is pretty easy to disassemble with one screw on the bottom (T5/T6 head most likely) and pop that side off with the screw hole. From that the board is just held in by plastic clips around the edge.

Attached Files:

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yep. A ball-point pen works good too.

----------------------------------------------------------

15. Shaneb10

Shaneb10 Thread Starter

Ok, since breaking the reset button when I plug it in the power light comes on amber. The "i" lights up green for a few seconds the goes out. The power light stays amber and nothing else happens.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice