Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help with buying RAM

1K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  MaverickUK 
#1 ·
Hello ppl

I really need help deciding on how much and which ram to buy. My setting right now is :
Asus P5B
C2D E6400
ATI x1900 XTX
2GB RAM PC2 - 5300 - OCZ Value - which are kinda cheap

Anyways i wan to buy another 2GB, the thing is i read somewhere that Win xp 32 bit wont recognize more the 3gb, Is that true?

Also my memory right now is sort of slow, it runs at 333MHz. So i want to buy something faster im just really a n00b when it comes down to RAM so if anyone can kinda point me in the right direction that would be great. I dont even know what memory will work on my MOBO, i know it need DDR2 and will accept up to 8 GB but nothig more than that.

So can any one help me out here? And maybe let me know what would be a good RAM to buy because there is just so many!

Thanks

#2 ·
Hey,

Unless you get or have Windows x64, the whole 3/4GB of RAM will not be utilised nor recgonised. Without this version of Windows, your system will show you a maximum of 3.5GB. You can, however, use a maximum of 3GB of RAM (or 3.5GB if you include a 512MB Graphics Card) without using a 64bit Operating System by using 2x 1GB and 2x 512MB DIMM's.

Some RAM such as this would be good; http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14380)OCZ-SLI-EPP-Platinum-Edition-1GB-DDR2-PC27200.aspx

Just realised the RAM's are different - you will either have to risk some money and purchase the same as you have now, or upgrade to better RAM and don't buy the whole 4GB you were intending to; unless you buy a 64bit OS that is. You could eve n sell the RAM you have now on Ebay or such and put the money towards 2GB of better, higher quality RAM.

Nick.

#9 ·
If you mix old RAM with new RAM you will come across inconmpatibility between the two, thus, as in most cases your computer will not work as it should or even boot at all. The RAM modules must be of same manufacturer, density, chip type etc to work in coherence without issues.

Both of those RAM you listed would be great, especially if you use media programs or play games. If you purchased these modules, i would suggest you sell your other ones to help fianance the news ones as you will probably just find they are not compatible.

Nick.

#18 ·
Looks good, Do you think it will make a big difference for me? i also will be playing with overclocking maybe.

And i also heard someplace that OCZ sometimes have compatibility issues with P5B will that give me any problems?

What would think about this one http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA23792&CartID=done&nextloc=
looks kinda good its a PC2 8000 with 1000 MHz. i just dont know if it will work with my Mobo. I can get it for only $184 from www.ncix.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.