1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help with hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lovsk8in247, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovsk8in247

lovsk8in247 Thread Starter

ok i have a new seagate 160GB SATA harddrive
    and a old IDE 80GB harddrive
    i have my OS installed on the 160GB harddrive
    and i had things on the IDE harddrive but i wanted them off so i put my windows install cd in and formated the IDE harddrive and installed windows XP on it
    but now when i have the IDE and the SATA harddrive both hooked up i can only boot to the IDE drive
    but all i want to do is use the IDE drive as like a "Slave"? to my SATA and put all my video files on the IDE drive but i can not boot into the SATA drive when i have the IDE drive hooked up?

but when i unhook the IDE drive i can boot to my SATA drive

thanks in advance

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Why did you install Windows on the IDE drive if you are using the SATA drive as your primary system drive? You don't need an operating system on a hard drive if you are using is just for storing videos and other files. Just a simple reformatting of the IDE drive should have made it ready to store files as a slave.

I am going into some uncharted territory here as I am not very familiar with SATA drive usage. Do your BIOS set-up screens include any type of boot sequence options that determine how the BIOS looks for an operating system on different drives?

3. lovsk8in247

lovsk8in247 Thread Starter

it has first boot device (harddrive) second (cd-rom) third (network)

nothing with IDE or SATA just says Harddrive

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I wasn't sure if the BIOS allowed you to find tune the boot order between SATA and IDE drives. It sounds like it does not. Your best bet might be to remove any operating system from the IDE drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice