1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help with internet connection network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Yaaya45, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yaaya45

Yaaya45 Thread Starter

I have a wireless internet connection at my home on windows xp and recently got a laptop so I wanted to connect it to my desktop with a network or lan or something. So I went into my networks and Internet connections and did view networks but it didn't come up with anything. Then I clicked advanced and messed around with it for a while and eventually my internet connection turned into a network connection and now it won't connect to the internet. I tried to repair it and revert it and stuff but it didn't work, and I didn't have system restore enabled so I can't just make it go back to yesterdays configuration. I need a way to delete the connection just make a new one cause if I use the connection wizard and try to creat a new one it just says I already have one and if I right click on the connection it won't let me delete it or repair it. Please reaply promptly because I really need the internet on my computer.

Windows xp profesional 2002 service pack 1
    384 mb Ram
    amd athlon 1.3 ghs

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

With out knowing details about what you've done, or at least what the current configuration is, it is very difficult to help you. It is also not clear whether you messed up your desktop machine, or the new laptop. The laptop is where you should have been playing, but it sounds like you messed up the desktop.

At a dos prompt, type "ipconfig /all" from both computers, and post the results.

3. Yaaya45

Yaaya45 Thread Starter

All the stuff I've bean talking about doing to a computer is to the desktop computer because the new laptop created a network just fine.

I'm working on getting the ipconfig thing, I'll post it as soon as i get it.

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Yes, the laptop may have "created" a network, but it should have been modified to connect to the network that existed before. So instead of you messing with the desktop that worked connecting to the internet and attempting to get it to join the network "created" by the laptop, the laptop is what needed to be changed to connect to the desktop and the network it had working.

5. Yaaya45

Yaaya45 Thread Starter

well I'm not sher wat i can do to fix it but here's the ip config:

Windows IP Config

Host Name....Desktop
    Primary DNS Suffix...
    Node Type....Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled...No
    WINS Proxy Enabled....No

Ethernet adapter wireless Network connection 2:
    connection-specific DNS Suffix...:
    Description....D-Link Airplus G DWL G510 wireless p

CI card
    Physical address....00-0F3D-60-F1-8F

Dhcp enabled.....yes
    Auto configuration enabled.....yes
    auto configuration IP address....169.254.18.204
    Subnet mask.....255.255.0.0
    Default gateway......:

6. natcom

natcom

have you reset your router and cable moden or dsl moden ? cause looks like you cant talk to your router

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are getting an IP address like "169.254.18.204", then likely the client is configured for DHCP but there is nothing on the network it can connect to that is giving out IP addresses.

How are the computer's connected (router, hub, direct cable). Don't see where it is mentioned in the first post.

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

8. Yaaya45

Yaaya45 Thread Starter

All I had to do is put that windows shouldn't search for the network because the wireless thing I had, had software that searched for it, itself. So I just had to go to the network properties and unclick the use windows to search for the network box, thks fr the help. :D

9. natcom

natcom

thank you for letting us know what fix your problem :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice