Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help with message "does not contain enough free space"

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Palmer Thongwa 
#1 ·
Hi,

I want to install Win7 64 bit from legal retail MS disc.

My computer is highly specified 7.4 rated.

I previously had Win 7 32 bit on it, but have formatted the 37GB SSD partition.

My difficulty is that I am getting the message below, whether I select the 37 GB partition or any other partition up to 500GB free space.

" Setup was unable to use the existing system partition because it does not contain the required free space"

There is very small 100MB partition on the SSD drive, named 'System Reserve' which I did not create, and do not know what it does. Do you think that this is causing the problem?

Many thaknks,
Roy Mayo

#3 ·
Hi, Thank you for your response.

Yes the SSD is 80 GB size, and there are two partitions on it, approximately half each. The first partition was used for the previous OS and is now formatted. The second partition was used for Games, and is about half full.

Please continue your quick response:-

Roy Mayo.

#6 ·
Hi, and thank you for your response.

I have read your suggested thread, and find that the post by Lerianis, in the middle, very closely resembles my situation.

Please advise how I should proceed.

Never heard of Easeus before, but do I need it now?

Roy Mayo.

#8 ·
Hi,

The partitioning of the new SSD was done a month or so ago. I used the partitioning program available in Windows Storage Manager. (If my terminology is not correct - it is the program I reached from Control Panel > Computer Management - as far as I remember). I did not use a third party partitioning program.

Thank you
Roy Mayo.

#9 ·
ok so if it closely resembles your situation then its possible its something to do with the drive itself...

have not used a SSD yet but i would imagine that it would rely on a different set of rules to disk based drives.

have you tried completely formatting the SSD and installing???

does this give you the error?

its worth a go and another interesting point i found on some web sites is... when windows is installing it unpacks the whole installation to the disk then puts the image on the rest... therefore even if you have enough room for the installation you might not have enough room for both!

#10 ·
Hi,

Thsnks to all who responded. I appreciate your good intentions, but no one had a specific solution.

I hope that this reply is seen as I am using another computer.

Due to the subject problem I have not been able to use my main computer till now.

Anyway, I solved the problem, by remembering what I used to do many years ago.

I removed everything except one HDD, the video card, mouse and keyboard. Put the install DVD in, and booted up. When the time for designating the installation partition came up, I formatted the drive and installed clean.

Now I am busy reconnecting everything (one at a time) and reinstalling everything, (one at a time).

A drastic solution, but there are advantages. I now have a 'clean slate' to write on what I really,really want to.

Roy Mayo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.