1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help with my plextor px-712a dvd burner

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ubamous3, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

i have a plextor px-712a dvd burner on a 2.8 ghz p4 with 1gig of ddr ram; plenty of hd space and all defragged and i use nero ultra 6 for a while now.

well in the last couple of days i suddenly get weird problems and i'm not sure if it's the plextor itself or my pc or the media (unlikely the media since i have tried it on 2 kinds of media);

i burn my movies (strictly as data, no video encoding) on to dvdr at 6x even tho the max is 12x; after it burns in nero, nero says it finishes successfully at 6x; but after ejecting it and closing back, it does not recognize the disk and the burned disk is not recognized on 2 other pc's either; after a couple of coasters, i rebooted and defragged, got 1 successful burn and then i wasted 3-5 more coasters!! i even updated my firmware from 1.05 to 1.07 but no difference

i tried uninstalling nero and used vso copydvd and wasted 1 more dvdr

please help ;does it sound like the burner to you guys or something else ? like ram?; nothing else appears weird on this pc recently except this

thank u

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Are you 'finalising' ?

3. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

hi dave, thanks for responding

yes i finalize them as default b/c i burn w/o multisession; i believe it's the plextor going bad b/c i swapped an older model px-708a onto this pc and i have burned 3 dvdr's so far w/o any problem

i haven't tried test burning with the problematic px-712 on the older pc yet; i have wasted about 10 dvdr's on it already so i'm in no hurry :)

do u know of any diagnostic tool that tests if your burner is defective or not? i went to plextor site but i haven found anything that describes it; there's a utility to test cd/dvd media tho but that's not what i m after

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That sounds as though the laser has gone 'soft'. Just as a test, try burning a CD (at least they're cheaper).

5. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

ok,i'll try that on my cdrw's; b/c i have wasted more than 10 dvdrs on the 712a already; thanks Dave :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/361143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice