1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help with new buid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Den777Cas, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Den777Cas

Den777Cas Thread Starter

I got the parts below and put a new gig together, installed windowns 7 and the thing works just fine first boot went well no issues.....untill I tried and connected the video card, I was using the in bord video till then...
    I unplugged the power cable turned off the swicth and connected the 6950 to the pci express slot.
    Plugged the power back and when I turned it on, the gig would start but after5 seconds or less it would just turn off and die.
    also when I attached the card , the computer does not let me turn it on with the case pwer button, because when I am plug back the power supply and turn the power switch on the computer automaticly starts before I even press power....
    Sometimes when I touch it it also starts wi th out me pressing the power button....
    When I unplugg the video card I need to reset the cmos otherwise no boot...
    After cmos reset and vga unplugged the computer works just fine using the onboard video only....
    Any one have any idea why is that ?? All I can think is bad pci e but then again it starts but it dies later....
    Dont know if it should start if the pci e is bad....
    Please help

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

A bad motherboard (pcie slot) is a possible problem, I would also look at the power supply aswell. You PSU is a good high wattage and a good brand however, even the good manufacturers sometimes have bad units that make it out to the buyer, so always worth checking.

It could also be the graphics card itself that is at fault, I would lean toward one of those 3 areas at the moment based on your description and the fact it works fine without the 6950 installed.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Quick question, did you plug in the power connector into the back of the video card?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice