1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help with Vista startup problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by H2916, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Hi,
    This morning, I went to start my computer, (HP desktop, Vista 32-bit, 4 GB RAM, 1 year old.) Right after the usual HP startup screens, I get a black and white screen saying something like "Windows did not start normally" and asks me to choose between:
    -Running startup repair or
    -Start windows normally

I choose to run the startup repair, and it begins and continues to "repair the startup" for more than 4 hours. I think that something got messed up, so I shut it down and run it again. This time, it runs for about 8 hours. It was responding fine, the blue bar kept moving back and forth the entire time. Both times, when I went to cancel the repair, nothing happened, so I had to shut it down.

I also tried the other option, starting it normally, but nothing happened, it just looked like it froze, on a solid colored screen.

I actually had this happen before to me, but the startup repair fixed the problem in about an hour, and it worked fine.

I was reading some other forums, but do I have to somehow repair it manually? Like do I need a Vista disc in order to fix it or something to that nature? I have no idea why this is happening. Can somebody please help me?

All help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I believe if you tap F8 after pressing the power button and choose "Repair Your Computer", among the options should be System restore and then choose a date far enough back it should return you to a working state.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!