1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PLEASE help with Vista startup problem!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by H2916, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Hi, this is a very comlicated issue for me. I just need my desktop to get going again. I can use any help anyone has to offer. I will try to describe my story in the best possible manner...

I have a HP desktop, m9500t to be exact, with 4GB ram, Vista 32bit Home Edtn, purchased in Feb 2009. Still pretty new. Everything on this system is still completely "stock", no hardware/OS has been changed since the purchase from HP.

Anyway, the main problem I'm having is Windows will not "load". I cannot get to the login screen. A couple mornings ago, the power was accidentally interrupted to it, and upon restarting, I get the usual HP startup screen, a normal black screen with a " __ " blinking in the top left corner, and then a black and white error screen saying something to the nature of: Windows could not start properly, and it asks me to choose between
    1-running startup repair to fix it
    2-starting normally
    I choose to fix the issue with startup repair. I started it Sat. morning and it ran for 4 hours. I thought there was something wrong, so I shut it down (it would freeze when I tried to cancel it) and started the repair again. This time, I let it run for 8 hours, still no startup fix.

Starting it normally doesn't help either, it just freezes, or hangs there.

I went into the advanced boot options, and tried to:
    -repair my computer
    -safe mode
    -last known good config.
    but everytime I tried to access one of these, it would freeze/hang. It always hangs on a light blue screen with a single mouse pointer. Nothing else.

I was reading some other forums, and they said that it could be the hard drive. BIOS still recognizes it fine, so I don't think that is the problem (correct if I'm wrong), and another forum said that it could be the RAM. This makes more sense to me, but what does anyone else think?

Would using a Vista installation disc allow me to access safe mode/repairing the computer without the "hanging"? I don't have one since the OS came pre-installed, so I will have to ask HP for one.

Sorry for the novel, but I thought more details would be better to get help.
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You say power was interrupted. Do you have a surge protection power bar ?

3. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Nope, it's plugged into a power strip, and that power strip was shut off, casuing the computer to lose power.

4. petan

petan

your drive really could be damaged by that so try to plug it as second to another machine and check if it's working

5. TekBonkerz

TekBonkerz

Hewo

Ive seen this type of problem before and I hate to say this but it was unfixable.
    I believe its the "Fonts" that have gone corrupt, thats why the system wont load
    and just hangs there with the mouse cursor.
    If it was your ram or hard disk you would get an error when the system is booting up
    also same reason you get that message asking you what you want to do.--safe mode-- repair-- etc.
    cause thats not windows yet. When you get the light blue screen with the mouse THATS windows and it wont load cause of the FONTS being corrupt.
    Your gona have to contact HP and have them mail you a CD you will mostlikely lose
    all your documents,pictures,sounds etc. etc. But you will be able to load windows again
    Hope this helps -- GOOD LUCK TO YOU--

6. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Okay TekBonkerz,
    So if you don't think it is the hard drive, instead of starting from scratch on the computer again, could I "transplant" the hard drive into another computer to get all my files off of it, and then put the hard drive back, and then load windows again?

I'm not that computer savvy, so if what I just asked was really dumb...

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

You can certainly put the hd into another machine to get to your files

8. TekBonkerz

TekBonkerz

I think u can, but Im not %100 sure since Ive never tried it BEST OF LUCK :O)

PS: Let us know if it werked :O)

9. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Would it be okay if the two computers were a different brand (dell and hp) and they had different versions of Windows (vista sp1 and xp sp2)? Could I do anything to either of the hard drives by doing the swap?

Thank you both for your help!

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Take out the drive and put it into another system as a second additional drive. Windows on that second machine will see the drive and let you copy stuff out of it.

11. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Lunarlander,

So how do I plug the hard drive in as a second drive? Is there like another wire(s) I connect to it? Will it actually go inside the Dell cpu? Will windows automatically detect that it is a second drive? Will Windows detect that it isnt the same version of Windows? And lastly, will the files on the hp hard drive come up as files in xp? For example, lets say you have 10 pics saved on the hp HD, after i plug it into the dell will those 10 pics come up in the My Pictures folder in the dell computer's HD?

Or...

Do i have this all wrong and will I get to choose what HD I run when starting the computer up?

Sorry for so many questions, I just don't know a lot when it comes to big computer projects like this.
    Once again, I just wanted to thank you for taking your time and helping me.
    Thanks!

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

Well, you have to open up the second computer to see if there is an additional SATA wire. Probably you have to buy a new SATA wire. Just look at the existing hard drive, and you will know what the SATA wire looks like.

Most tower PC cases has space for more than 1 hard drive, but thats not guarantied. Since you are just going to copy out stuff, you don't necessarily need to put the hard drive inside the case. Just connect the SATA wire and leave it sitting on the desk.

Windows will automatically detect the second hard drive. And it won't care about the version of Windows thats on the second hard drive, because it is configured to boot from C:, and your new drive will be seen as drive D or E
    It will not care or know about the second hard drive's version of windows.

After you plug the second drive in, you will see drive E ( lets says it is E ) and when you click to open that, it will show Documents, Pictures, Favorites and all that, in the drive E. It won't merge with the stuff already in drive C.

13. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Okay, Thank you so much! It all makes sense to me now. I've always wondered what the additional drive letters meant anyway. I will be sure to post again after I try it out to let you know how it goes.

I'm sorry-but I just have TWO more questions.
    1-Should I start with the computer off, connect the 2nd HD, and then power it on? And
    2-Will C:/ still be the "main" drive, the one the computer runs off of, etc. Basically, the only time the 2nd drive is open and accessible is when I have the E:/ or whatever letter it is clicked on in My Computer?

Thank you!

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, you have to power down the computer before you connect the second hard drive.

Drive C will still be the main drive. The computer will use it to boot up and use Windows found on C drive. The second drive will open when you click on it.

15. H2916

H2916 Thread Starter

Hi again, but I just came up with another idea. Instead of moving the HD to the other computer, could I buy a new HD and put it in the HP computer, install Windows on it, and then install the other HD as a secondary one on the HP? Do you think this will work? Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!