1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help with win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by swa2b41, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swa2b41

swa2b41 Thread Starter

Greeetings to all who read:

I have a friends computer here at my house and it is really screwed up. The guy who owns it deleted all the short cuts from the start-programs. There is nothing there. Also I can not get the mouse to work. In the cotrol panel systems there is the yellow exclamation mark by the mouse. There is also a power source error. I am wondering if I can reboot from dos? I did this on my sister's computer but it had windows ME. I believe I just ran set up from c/windows/options/cab/setup, but this does not work on this computer. Could I make a startup disk and run that and would this fix the mouse problem?

Mucho Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    Swa...

2. LINKUP20GS

LINKUP20GS

When you ran setup. What exactly are you talking about did you reinstall. are you trying to do this with this computer? Is your only problem that the mouse does not work the only thing troubling you. What is your power supply error message? What kind of puter is it. for your mouse try uninstalling it and rebooting. The machine should pick it right back up. If it is something other than a standard mouse do you have the software for it? If you can elaborate a little more as to what you would like to accomplish. I will try to get you where you want to be.......your friend in tech da missing link

I would like to also ask if "you" can navigate win 98 with just your keyboard. If all else fails try this ifn yous got the disk win 98 reinstall windows without losing all of your info.

Often it may be necessary to remove Windows 95/98 and install a fresh copy, either becasue of virus damage, operating system corruption, or just becasue you want that fresh Windows feeling.

This method can be used to remove windows ready for a fresh install, while leaving all your other data on the hard drive. As you will be removing the Windows folder don't forget that you will need to re-install all your programs and also you will lose anything else that is contained in the Windows folder i.e. anything on your desktop, your Favorites, E-mails and address book etc. If your not sure then make sure anything important is backed up else where. The method is to remove the entire windows folder and its contents plus the files listed below which are in the root directory of your C Drive (assuming thats where you installed Windows).

1. To do this you will need a Windows start up or boot disk.

2. First, using Windows Explorer, copy 'Deltree.exe' and 'Attrib.exe' onto the boot disk. These files are located in your C:Windows\Command folder.

3. When finished copying, insert the boot disk and restart the computer. You're going to delete some file from the C directory, but first change their attributes so that DOS can see them.

At the 'A:\' prompt type:
    attrib -h -r -s c:\*.*

(This command will clear the attributes of all the files in the root of 'C' i.e the -h -r -s will clear Hidden, Read Only and System attributes.)

4. Next, if your sure you have no files that need saving directly in the root of the C drive then its quickest and easiest to delete them all in one command:

del c:\*.*

Else, if you need to save files in your C:\ root directory, you can start deleting the system files below one at a time like this:
    del autoexec.bat ( delete autoexec.bat ). Delete the following files:
    del Autoexec.bat (and any other autoexec files with other extensions)

del Bootlog.txt (and any other bootlog files with other extensions)

del Command.com

del Config.sys (and any other config files with other extensions)

del Detlog.txt (and any other detlog files with other extensions)

del Frunlog.txt

del Io.sys

del Msdos.sys (and any other msdos files with other extensions)

del Netlog.txt

del Scandisk.log

del Setup.log (and any setup files with other extensions)

del Suhdlog.dat (and any other suhdlog files with other extensions)

del System.1st
    The del command will only delete files and not folders or anything contained in folders

5. Now to delete the entire Windows folder and its contents.

deltree c:\windows

The Deltree command will delete all files in the directory regardless of attributes. Don't think somethings not right if this function appears to take a very long time, 5 to 15 minutes is not unusual.

6. You're ready to reinstall Windows. Restart your computer, again using the bootdisk. Place the Windows Setup CD in the CD-ROM drive. At the command prompt type the letter of your CD drive (i.e. E:), next type setup. Follow the Windows setup prompts. Note: When supplied with your computer, some versions of Windows require that you type oemsetup.
    only try this if you feel comfortable with it I would not lead you astray.
    your friend in tech Da Missing Link

3. swa2b41

swa2b41 Thread Starter

When you ran setup. I said I did this on a different computer. I What exactly are you talking about did you reinstall.Yes on different computer. are you trying to do this with this computer? I tried to follow the same process but it did not do anything. Is your only problem that the mouse does not work the only thing troubling you. No What is your power supply error message? I'll have to get back to this one. What kind of puter is it. CR for your mouse try uninstalling it and rebooting. Did that The machine should pick it right back up. Didn't If it is something other than a standard mouse do you have the software for it? Software installed fine, there is a yellow exclamation in system If you can elaborate a little more as to what you would like to accomplish. I will try to get you where you want to be.......your friend in tech da missing link I would like to either restore it to date before he deleted all the files from the programs at start, or install windows 2000. What ever would be best. I would like to have a mouse.

I would like to also ask if "you" can navigate win 98 with just your keyboard. Yes I can

4. swa2b41

swa2b41 Thread Starter

There is no win 98 CD. There are no program CDs. All I have is a CPU and a win2000 CDs.
    Is there a system restore with win98?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice