1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help with Windows 8 Wifi issues!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Shawna007, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shawna007

Shawna007 Thread Starter

Hello Tech Guy,

I'm really hoping someone can help me out. I have a Toshiba Satellite P855-S5312 laptop that came installed with Windows 8. I am having trouble staying connected to the internet when I'm on Wifi. I'm currently using an ethernet cord and don't seem to have any trouble at all. When the computer shows I'm connected to wifi, as soon as I attempt to go to a webpage the internet shuts off. If it does manage to stay connected for a few minutes, the connection is weak and super slow. The browser I'm using is Chrome. I work from home on my computer and Chrome works best with the software I need to run for work. No one else in the house is having any trouble at all with their wifi connections.

Here is my info:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ShawnaWork
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.ky.comcast.net.

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-4E-36-85-B6-A5
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2200
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-4E-36-85-B6-A4

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ky.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-88-E3-1C-23-72
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::15e4:6176:a771:2fb3%12(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.115(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:40:20 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:05:15 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 263751907
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-61-93-EA-B8-88-E3-1C-23-72
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.ky.comcast.net.:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ky.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:1c80:2cc3:bbca:818b(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c80:2cc3:bbca:818b%17(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 536870912
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-61-93-EA-B8-88-E3-1C-23-72
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Please let me know if there is anything I can try or do to fix this.

Thanks!

Shawna

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Anything else wireless or Bluetooth (mouse, headset, ...)?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. Shawna007

Shawna007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I was using a wireless mouse. I just removed it and my wifi is working at the moment. I'll try it for a day without the mouse and if I have more problems I'll post the screenshots tomorrow.

For the record, I also uninstalled factory trial AV and Toshiba Eco software.

4. Shawna007

Shawna007 Thread Starter

Well it was only good for about 5 minutes then it disconnected again. Here is the screenshot you asked for:

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That signal history graph is pretty "ugly" and since you say others are not having Wi-Fi issues the problem is very likely with your adapter, the driver, or something in your immediate environment that we haven't identified.

Try the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

If still not good try the driver directly from Intel's web site.

If still not good try with the router's encryption disabled. If that gives a good signal and good results then try WPA-PSK (not WPA2) encryption.

6. Shawna007

Shawna007 Thread Starter

I found a driver from Intel's site but it didn't help. I couldn't remember my router password so I reset it and made a new network. I did drop once last night but not once every 5 minutes at least. .

Today I changed the encryption to WPA and I tried several channels and 6 seems to have the best signal for me. My signal is -33/34 db now and drawing straight lines on the Xirrus graph. I don't know if -33 is good but it is definitely better than before.

I've been on about an hour and so far so good today.

I'm hoping we are good to go now. Thanks for the help!

7. Shawna007

Shawna007 Thread Starter

Just a side note. I don't know if you can edit the post on screenshots but my buggy windows 8 pc won't take a screenshot by clicking alt/print screen or windows/print screen. I did find a snipping tool though while browsing the help section that did the job.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    -33 dBm is a good strong signal, and more importantly a straight line graph is what you want to see.

On some laptops you also need the Fn key. (And I assume you know that you see nothing happening, but the screen shot is copied to the clipboard.)

You do realize that if it works the screen shot is stored in the Screenshots folder in the folder that is the default save location for the Pictures library?

That's my preference anyhow, but when in the Modern UI you need the <Windows Logo> + <Prtscrn> to work.

9. Shawna007

Shawna007 Thread Starter

I read up on the print screen stuff when it didn't work the "classic" way but I can't do it. Maybe I can't find the pics but I don't believe that to be the case. Thanks though.

Anyway....
    I'm acting up again today. My router is in the kitchen. If I am in the kitchen I have a good signal. (-33 -35db) In the living room 15-20 feet from router it gets buggy again. (-37: -47db)

Here is my trend this morning. The start of trend I'm on the couch and it is disconnecting. I moved to the chair by the kitchen doorway and it got better. I'm wondering now if I should just break down and get a new router. I'd hate to waste the money though since other peripherals (win 7 laptop, x-box, and apple products) are working fine.

Attached Files:

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check the signal history graph with the Windows 7. If you get the same bumps and dips then a new router is a good bet.

But if it looks good on the Windows 7 then the problem could be the router and the Windows 8's wireless adapter not playing nice or it could the the adapter itself. So, unless you are looking for an excuse to buy another router try the Windows 8 somewhere else (friend's or free hot spot such as library or McDonald's and other restaurants).

11. Shawna007

Shawna007 Thread Starter

This is Shawna's husband. She has been using my laptop for a while and forgot to check in on this thread. OK So I am taking over on this one I suppose. FYI, we dropped the win 8 laptop and broke the ethernet jack so it's now wireless or nothing.

I put the Xirrus tool on the win7 pc and it draws straight lines. Crappy signal though (-67db). But still it's a perfectly straight line. I'll try the win 8 laptop on a different network and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

Rudy

12. DeathWorm

DeathWorm

You should try to click the wifi signal icon at the taskbar. If you find your AP is limited in the nortification appears at the right corner, you should go to Open Network and Sharing Center > Connection (Your AP's name) > Diagnose. This help me much cuz I also have a Vaio laptop with Win8 SG and sometimes have trouble with wifi. Good luck!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!