1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help....XP problem (about to cry)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by staycleanxxx, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. staycleanxxx

staycleanxxx Thread Starter

About 3 months ago, i went to a computer show and built a computer. And ever since then it's been a nightmare for one reason. I have to reformat it, give or take, every five days.

I don't know what it is, but i am going to try to explain the problem as best as possible.

The computer will automatically reset on it's own. Regardless of what you are doing on it, just poof, reset. About 1 or 2 times after it does that theres a new problem...

After the reset, it wont reboot. Some times it will get up to the windows xp logo screen, and then reboot. And other times, it will get to the windows XP logo screen, and then give me a blue screen saying "PAGE FAULT...." bla bla bla.

So i am left with no choice but to reinstall. I can't repair windows (cause it never works). So I reformat, loosing all the info on one partition i made for windows (15gigs). Sometimes, when i am at the part where windows is loading, it tells me it cant install certain files. How can that be? How can a computer have problems installing any files on a hard drive that was just formatted? I can't remember all the files, cause they are random, but i remember "amd.sys" and stuff like that. And i have to keep telling it to not install those files, after about 10 file skips it automatically restarts, and i have to do the reformat, and install over again.
    After about 2 or three times of installing, it finally copies all the files (or enough for the installation to go through).

Windows now loads, and then I install the drivers. The drivers i am installing are the ones that came with the hardware CD (listed below). So i think it should be good in that sense.

But just to be sure, i didn't Install any of the drivers this time. The only thing i installed was the driver to let me get on the internet, video and audio called "AGP GART".

That's just about it, the computer works great. I absolutely love everthing about. But this unstibility is just making me want to take a belt-sander to everyone in a 10 mile radius, ya know what i mean?

Here is the list of all the hardware components....

CPU: AMD Athlon XP, 2166Mhz (6.5x333) 2700+
    Mobo: Gygabite GA-7N400-L1 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
    Mobo Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
    Memory: 512 (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

Video Adapter: nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Asus AGP-V9520M)
    3D Accelerator: " " " "

Audio AdapterL nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface

Disk Drive: Maxtor 6Y120L0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    (partitioned - 15 Gig for Windows / 100 Gig for data)

Networking Adapter: NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller

PLEASE RESPONDE ASAP.
    THANKS FOR READING THIS ALL.

-frank
    www.ahorrorstory.com

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Most likely a memory problem, the page fault error (a power supply reboot wouldn't do this) and reboots give it away... Test the memory if possible, if not possible, replace the memory.

The install problem also is a key, as memory problems would cause read errors.

I just noticed it's a nforce board. I had problems with memory with quite a few of them, upping the voltage to the memory may solve the problem without needing to replace the mem. Seems the default voltage to the mem on the nforce boards is a little on the low side. (This is speculation from experience)

Just raise the dimm voltage one notch. ;)

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Forgot to mention, the memory problem is corrupting you registry hive, which is why you have to reinstall..

4. staycleanxxx

staycleanxxx Thread Starter

yo, are you online. You are my new personal hero.....
    please IM me at "StayCleanXXX".
    I don't know how to change memory voltage.
    Need help

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I can't IM as I'm at work and not on one of my machines. Although, I'll do what I can. I don't own a Gigabyte model nforce board so the bios is probably different.

You'll have to enter the bios of the machine by hitting delete while booting. Hold on while I download a manual for the motherboard.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

OK, in the bios, you'll first have to enter "Advance Chipset Features" and set the "system performance" at "aggressive" before I believe it'll let you change the voltage of the memory.

Then go into "Frequency/Voltage control and highlight the Dimm Overvoltage Control. Read the warning label that'll show up in the right hand paine saying something about increasing may help stability but may damage the module. Raise it up to +0.1V , if you still have problems go to +0.2v. That's all the options your board has.. Strangely, the amount of voltage you can add is very low on your board and shouldn't cause problems, so the warning is very odd.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Kinda funny, they put that warning in that you may damge the memory, but if your memory ain't handling it, you have no choice.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice