Please help - XP won't boot after install of video controller

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

twnelson2004

Help. I have a Thinkpad A30 with WinXP Pro. After a WinXP re-install, the screen was in low-resolution mode and very hard to read. I went to Device Manager, and it said that the “Video Controller (VGA) was in “error”, and there was no driver.

I tried auto-update of the driver (with the “search web” option), but Windows could not find anything. So I did a Google on “video controller driver for Thinkpad A30 Windows XP” and got the following from IBM’s website:

....307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-43156

I went to this page, downloaded (what I thought was) the driver install file (vftp1edx.exe), and ran it, thinking it would correctly tell WinXP what my A30 monitor was. Wrong.

Now my machine won’t boot properly (at all). I get to the “log on to windows” screen, enter my password, and then it goes nowhere. It either locks on a solid blue screen, or I get a few various error boxes (with nothing in them, just yes/no). No matter what I hit the laptop either locks up or logs off. I can’t even get into Windows all the way to undo the install.

Help! Any ideas? Feel free to email me directly at [email protected], or post a reply. Thanks. I need help FAST!

(the above website is cut-paste below)--------------------------

Video driver (ATI Mobility Radeon) for Windows XP - ThinkPad A30/p, X22, X23, X24

This package provides the display driver for Microsoft Windows XP users.This package enables or updates the display function of the following ThinkPad computers:- ThinkPad A30- ThinkPad A30p - ThinkPad X22- ThinkPad X23- ThinkPad X24This version of the Video Driver will only work with:- ThinkPad A30, A30p system BIOS version 1.14 (or higher)- ThinkPad X22, X23, X24 system BIOS version 1.26 (or higher). Please download the additional package, ThinkPad BIOS Update (Diskette) or BIOS Update (Non-Diskette) and update the BIOS in the system with it at the same time. There is a link provided below.

File details

Version: 7.79.7.3.3-030116a-007802
Release Date: 2003/04/02

File link File size File description

vftp1edx.exe 17,202,937 Video driver (ATI Mobility Radeon) for Windows XP
vftp1edx.txt 5,620 README for video driver (ATI Mobility Radeon) for Windows XP

twnelson2004

Hi. Sorry, I forgot one thing. I think/wonder if a problem could be related to my system having very little memory free. The .exe file I downloaded and installed (and led to this major crash of my Thinkpad) was 17 megs, and my machine may not have much free space. Is there any chance that my machine could be close to it's Harddrive max and now won't boot properly? Just wondering.

I did get it to sort of boot up once. It got to the screen with a few of the icons, but none of the icons would work, the "Start" would not work, etc. Many of the icons didn't show their proper icon symbols, I couldn't do Start to shut-down, so had to do CTRL-ALT-DEL and then hit shutdown, which worked this time (in the sense that most shut-downs aren't even working.... it's just a lock-up blue screen). Can you help????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online