Please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kamakazze15

Ok well i have an old Compaq presario that has been sitting in my basement. Im positive it worked the last time it was used... since its worth nothing, i decided just to take everything apart and put it back together...i was bored. I put everything back together and i believe everythign is in rite... When i turn it on u can hear it switch on very silently and just stays like that until its shut off. Anyone know what it can be??? thanx

kamakazze15

nope it just turns on... nuttn comes on teh screen or nuttn, doesnt even sound liek teh PS is running

hate to say it, but it sounds like you don't have it connected the correct way.
Recheck all your connections.

kamakazze15

well what can be in wrong... what about the cards? does it matter which orer their in?

It should matter which order your cards are in as long as they are in properly. Double check your cables to make sure everything is indeed connected in the right order (e.g. Primary drive vs secondary (Slvae) drive and make sure the drives are configured properly too (i.e. slaved correctly). There are some good sites out there that can give you alot of data about how it should be connected, just do a google search. At the very least, you should be able to get to your BIOS to make sure that is configured properly too.

Hope that helps.

Triple6

Rob
make sure the red strip on the ide cable faces toward the power connector and that the red strip goes toward pin 1 on the mainboard. make sure you ran and add-on cards are seated correctly and firmly. try clearing the cmos, use the jumper or pull the battery for a few seconds. if all else fails try booting with only the video, ram and cpu and see if that works.

You could also change the battery if the computer has been sitting in the basement for any length of time.

Hopefully, the battery is not soldered in as in some Compaqs but even then there is a way around it which you should be able to find on the Compaq site in the form of a schematic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online