1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BZellner, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BZellner

BZellner Thread Starter

I posted not to long ago on an IBM Aptiva. I had the problem with windows95. Anyway i now have the windows95 disk that i needed and a boot disk. the screen says insert system disk and when i do i get a cursor in the top left corner. it will not let me type anything. it just flashes there. what am i supposed to do? is it hopeless?

2. dai

dai

check in the bios that the computer is set to boot from floppy first
    put the floppy in and reboot the computer
    that should bring you to the A:/
    if it does'nt then go here for another boot disk
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/downloads/download.php/id/8
    when you have d/l your new boot disk put a floppy in and click on the d/l and it will send it to the floppy then boot from it

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If possible, have a startup disk created from a Windows 98 computer because it'll contain generic CDROM drivers that you'll need. A startup disk created from a Windows 95 computer doesn't include CDROM drivers. You might want to read my article on how to create a fully-bootable startup disk.

Once you figure out how to access the BIOS screen(each computer make and model does it differently), go to the Boot menu. Once you're there, you can change the boot sequence to where the floppy drive is listed first. Once you're finished, save the change, exit the BIOS, completely shut down your computer, insert the startup disk, then restart your computer.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. dai

dai

as your computer boots up press the delete key and this should bring up your bios
    look through the bios and check that drive A is first boot
    look in the section bios setup if it is already set to A just exit the bios if it is set to CD or C change it to A then exit the bios and when it aska if you want to save choose Y for yes.
    then put in the 98 boot disk in your floppy and reboot the computer.
    this will bring up the A:/ promnt
    when you get this far come back to us and we will guide you forwards

5. BZellner

BZellner Thread Starter

i tried finding bios and cannot. all i get now is an invalid system disk message. i cant get to any other screen. i cant type anything. im at a friends house who has windows 98 and could download it here. should i? i received a boot disk from a local computer store here in town. i tried that and it didnt work. it seems that nothing i do is working. the only thing i get sometimes is the configuration utility. is there something in there i need to change?

6. greengeek

greengeek

You need to press the F1 key to get to the BIOS in an IBM Aptiva.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice