1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wkatydid, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wkatydid

Wkatydid Thread Starter

A couple of weeks ago, I had to "repair" my computer (OS: Windows XP Home Edition), as I had corrupt or missing files in WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM. This was not the first time, and I've never before had problems doing a repair.

However this time, I cannot get connected to the Internet. When using Compuserve, I get either of these 2 error messages:

Remote Access Server: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

or

Remote Access Server: The request is not supported.

With AT&T WorldNet, I get either of these two (similar) messages:

Error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

or

Error 50: The request is not supported.

I uninstalled and re-installed Compuserve and AT&T, as well as my network adapters, and even went to so far as to install a different modem. Same thing.

About 14 hrs after the inital repair, Norton's Antivirus found a "virus"

Virus name: Suspicious Script
    Feature: Script Blocking
    Action Taken: Blocked
    Suspicious Action: File System Object: GetSpecialFolder

I've run out of ideas. And truly, at this point, I don't know if this is a hardware issue, a software issue, or a result of this "virus".... and therefore, I really don't know which forum to post my question in... though it's been posted in the Windows XP forum since the 11th, with no answer.

Can someone help?? Or even point me in the right direction??

Thanks!!
    Wendy

2. xavier57

xavier57

After Norton found the virus and it was removed... did you try to connect to the Internet after re-installing the modem?

3. Wkatydid

Wkatydid Thread Starter

Yes, the "virus" was detected about 14 hrs. after I "repaired" the computer. This was over two weeks ago, so I've tried a million things (some more than once, since).

However, upon going into the Norton's virus alerts to see if maybe I could get it to run, I saw that the antivirus had now picked up the "bloodhound.file.string" virus (Source: MSPAINT.exe) fully a week after I could no longer get online, and believe me, the first thing I did upon the "repair" was run a virus scan. So I'm not sure why it's taking so long for Norton's to detect these viruses. But in researching this particular virus, I could not find any evidence in the registry or any files left behind.

I'm super-frustrated with it right now (thanks for answering me though.... I was losing more hope!! :cool:). I'm ready to slick the drive and start over.....!!

And I can't find any virus that "prevents" one from going online.... since they seem to rely on going online to spread themselves.

So I'm not sure if there is a piece of hardware in there not functioning, or a driver, or what... Everything else about the computer seems to work fine....

I'm not even sure I'm in the correct forum for my problem, but really DO appreciate any direction at all about now. As I can't get online from home, it's dependent upon when I can get to the library, or a friend's home..

Thanks,
    Wendy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice