1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by starjade, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starjade

starjade Thread Starter

Recently whenever I am surfing the Internet, a message pops up and lets me know that Internet Explorer needs to be shut down. It gives me 2 options, one is to send error message and the other is to not. Either choice I make, it wil close the screen I am viewing. Microsoft then prompt me and click on a hyperlink that will explain the error. When this screen comes up, it says that they don't know the cause of the error but advises me to go to www.smartpops.com/customersvc.

This problem happens everytime I am on the Internet. The operating system that I am running on is Window XP. Thanking advance for anyone's help with this matter.

2. doggard

doggard

Go to control panel/admin tools/event viewer and post and recent error messages.

3. Arky

Arky

You will never receive an unsolicited message from Microsoft!!!

You apparently have picked up a piece of spyware. Download and run Ad-aware and Spybot for starters. Install a firewall and anti-virus software if you do not have them already. LOL

4. starjade

starjade Thread Starter

Where should I go to download Ad-ware. I usually go to www.download.com, however there are so many types of ad-ware. I don't know which one to choose?

Please help!

5. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy Starjade, go to http://lavasoft.com for Adaware and Spybot you can get from downloads.com or ZDNet or do a google search and using "spyware" it will give you several sites to download from. I regularly get that message as well and just send error report then restart IE. Seems to happen a lot with IE6 for some reason. Happens at Tech too, so I'm not unduly worried.I also run WinPatrol, which tells you if someone is trying to install spyware into your startup list. I run NOD32 and ZoneAlarmPro.Hope this helps.

6. jonathan731

jonathan731

Internet Explorer is full of so many problems...I think its better to quit it and jus use Mozilla which is better

7. bobol

bobol

either browser you use, download spyware blaster also[below link]. I use mozilla now too--IE you can still use to pick up your MS updates.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice