1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackcell, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackcell

blackcell Thread Starter

just returned from holiday - sold my monitor to a friend just purchased new iiyama E511b series however new monitor was late arriving and so had to hook up old monitor again after 3 weeks - everything was working well until couple of hours - screen froze upon finishing a virus check - pressed Alt , CTr , Del and bios page came up - didnt touch a thing - couldnt access any bios features - bios screen went mad and distorted and after foolishly resetting from bios the power safe mode is activated everytime upon switching on my pc and the same for my new monitor - tested new monitor on my laptop and thats fine so its a motherboard issue and unsure if ever i will see my files again on my pc - any thoughts anyone how i can overcome this and since my work files are on the hard disk - really need to access them soon.

regards
    my system details:
    Windows ME
    AMD 1.4GHz (133)
    256 Mb Ram
    IBM 60GB generic ide disk type 47
    motherboard - asustek ata266
    Nvidia GForce MX2 64bit
    TEAC CD-W512EB [CD-ROM drive)
    pioneer dvd rom dvd-116
    monitor mitisubishi diamond 730

2. Cell

Cell

not sure if i will be able to help but i know the first thing they are going to want to know is stats on what kind of motherboard you have and all that good stuff.

3. winbob

winbob

BC,

You said, "screen froze upon finishing a virus check - pressed Alt , CTr , Del and bios page came up - didnt touch a thing - couldnt access any bios features - bios screen went mad and distorted and after foolishly resetting from bios the power safe mode is activated everytime upon switching on my pc and the same for my new monitor."

I have to say that I do not understand your rendition of what happenned. :confused:

Ctl Alt Del should not take you to a BIOS screen, you should see Task Manager screen. So what did the screen actually look like...what info was presented?

When you said, "power safe mode is activated everytime upon switching on my pc"

what does this mean?? :confused:

4. blackcell

blackcell Thread Starter

5. pronute

pronute

Your computer is hanging at POST not the BIOS setup screen, correct? Unplug the AC from the wall open up the case and remove the CMOS battery then set the clear CMOS jumper cap to CLEAR CMOS, reset the jumper to normal put the battery back in, and reboot, if you get a checksum error press the F2 (most cases with checksum error) key to go in to BIOS setup and reset the time and date and any other relevant settings according to installed components.

6. blackcell

blackcell Thread Starter

if what you meany by 'post' - that being from the moment i turn my pc on then yes afteralll i cant see what my pc is doing since the monitor goes immediately back to standby - very frustrating indeed since my workfiles are all on there- if this sounds odd please clairfy for me but your suggestion feels the more likely and for that i thank you

regards

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice