1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help :(

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shaleradon, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaleradon

shaleradon Thread Starter

first a little explanation.ok so this started because i was trying to network a laptop and a pc together to play a game(1701 A.D.) as i went into the multiplayer area of the game i found i could not find the games that were set up. the only firewall either computer has is windows firewall and it is off on both. the pc has avg free on it as well. there is no antivirus on the laptop. the pc cannot seem to ping the laptop, although it can ping itself. the laptop can ping itself and the pc. i am thinking it is because the pc cant ping the laptop. i am just trying to get this to work so i can play a game. any help would be useful. and i feel i probably left something important out. if you want specific info just ask. thanks in advance! what is making it so that the pc cant ping the laptop?

2. centauricw

centauricw

You can't use a standard patch cable to connect two computers to each other. You need to use a crossover cable (which swaps pins 1 and 2 at one end with 3 and 6 at the other), or you need to connect each computer to an Ethernet switch.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Switch the cable end to end and see if the one-way ping also changes direction. If so, it's the cable. If not, there is, or was, a firewall on the laptop that is blocking.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice