1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please need help with my OS!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Decibel, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

Hello every cybergeezer outthere,
    im in trouble and need your talents, cuz i cannot access my OS, but only in safe mode. I was trying to watch a video twice and the blue screen of doom got me....Now when i turn on my pc i can only see the wallpaper all the icons, toolbar and star tmenu on the desktop are gone!!I tried antyspyware, antimalaware, combofix, CHCKDSK/F but invane...I think my explorer has gome missing from the registry, not sure, i so need your help, i do not know how to fix it...Please can you help me? Thank you.

My PC specs:
    Window XP professional
    500gb sumsung hdd
    Sapphire HD 4550
    Asus mobo PK5Q

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it works in safe mode
    in which case do a system restore
    start>programs>accessories>system tools>system recovery - choose a date before the problem started

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Or in Normal Mode, Control/Shift/Escape to Task manager>Processes tab>File menu>New Task and type in explorer.exe then hit Enter.

4. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

i tried system restore. No change. I cannot access my normal mode cuz my screen is empty i see only my wallpaper..Is there is anything i can try in command propmt safe mode? Cheers guys appreciate your time and help..

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

As saga lout suggested:

Boot normally and when you get the empty Wallpaper screen, press ctrl+shift+esc (or ctrl+alt+del) keys all together and you should get the Task manager. Then click File > New Task > and type explorer.exe in the field offered. Click OK and see if your Desktop returns. Post back your results.

6. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

hi surfer i cannot do that cuz my screen is frozen. I was thinking to buy a new HDD and use it to do a back up and then to re-install window. i do not want to loose my data..I was thinking to use Acronis true image for the back up. If i plug in a new HDD can i see it in safe mode? Cheers mate for your help.

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Try opening in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and run Checkdisk to find and fix any disk errors. It's sometimes a lengthy five stage process but it's worth a shot. At the prompt, type chkdsk /r (including the space) then hit Enter.

8. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

Hi saga. nothing happens. very depressed.:mad::(

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what actually happens - I know you said " nothing happens" at want point and
    what happens after you type
    chkdsk /r
    does it actually carry out the chkdsk ?

10. 247techie

247techie

What I would recommend is that you log into safemode with networking as an Administrator download malwarebytes and do a full system scan while doing that try to download bluescreen viewer and get the error message of the blue screen. If you can attach these information it will be very useful

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

12. Decibel

Decibel Thread Starter

Thanks you so much guys.Do you remember when i said i was depressed? Well i could not take it, so i bought a new HDD and install XP on there. Now i can see my old HDD as an extra drive..I will past and copy all your notes so if something happen, i have already few ideas how to proceed. All of you are such a treasure, all your ideas and solution are so helpful, not can do without you.:)(y) Thanks also for your links, for back up i got Acronis True Image, is a miracle worker, don't know if is the same as easeus...God Bless all the CYBERGEEZARS in the world(y):)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!