1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please! need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephanie200, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephanie200

stephanie200 Thread Starter

hey, i need help on what cables i may need to transfer data from SATA 3GBS hardrive which is no longer in the laptop to my laptop which was installed with a new hardrive and i want to recover my files please help me!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Assuming the new hard drive in the laptop has a Windows operating system installed and working USB ports ...

You would need a USB to SATA adapter with cable that matches the SATA connector on the old drive. If you plan to keep using the old drive as an external drive you could get a USB to SATA adapter that includes a suitable enclosure.

EDIT: For future reference, you may want to use more descriptive subjects when starting a new thread.

3. stephanie200

stephanie200 Thread Starter

yes it does have a windows operating system....how do i know if a cable matches the SATA connector? and thank youu

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You would need to identify the exact type of connector used on the old hard drive and find a USB converter that matches it.

Here is a link to 3GB/s SATA to USB 3.0 adapter that maybe is the right type. If your laptop has USB 2.0 ports, the adapter should run at the slower USB 2.0 speed instead of 3.0 without any problems.

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JU-SA0812-S1

You may be able to find less expensive adapters that work at slower SATA and USB data rates.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice