1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please offer advice on a p4 3ghz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ubamous3, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

i saw an add at fry's (the local computer shop) for this cpu/mobo combo for $189 (3ghz pentium 4 with 1 mb cache, 800mhz fsb in a retail box with hsf which i wont use anyway, the mobo is not specified so i assume it's the cheapo ecs mobo); is that a good deal? i assume that this cpu is the prescott since it has 1 mb cache

i looked on pricegrabber for similar 3ghz cpu's; the cheapest that i see there for the cpu alone is $171 before shipping ; the weird thing is that the northwoods with only 512 kb cache actually costs more than the prescott; does that make sense? i was hoping the northwood is cheaper b/c i'd rather run it cooler; prescott is a bit oo hot and requires more care to cool it

2. 4steve44

4steve44

Ok first. That is a good deal on the P4 3.0GHZ 1Ghz cache w/ 800Mhz front side buss and yes it is a Prescott. As for cooling that pressy look in my sig. to see what I use. Zalman now makes a CPNS7700Cu that will cool that pressy easily w/ a little AS5. Idle I run 38C and at load 48C well below max. Hope this helps ;) ;?)

3. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

hey, r u minion on other boards? if not, sorry :) yes, actually i do have a 3 ghz prescott and a d865perl board; i do use as5 and the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu on that pc and Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu on my other pc which is a 2.8 ghz northwood 533mhz fsb; the prescot is waaay hotter even when not ocd which sometimes makes me worried since i'm new to building computers and tinkering witht hem, i dont know how to lap hs and do advanced mods so if i have a choice, i'd prefer going with the northwood b/c i dont game so i dont need to get the fastest and greatest; just decent to get me through

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Fry's has great prices on mobo/cpu combos.

Can you find out what motherboard is in the package?

5. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

i cant tell from the picture of the ad; they dont specify the mobo at all,even on their site outpost.com; but i think they tend to sell ecs boards as part of their combo's; i got my northwood combo with ecs from frys before and i just upgraded the ecs board to asus p4p800 se

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Many are ECS boards, and I'd stay away from those. I bought two of those combos a while back and had both of them die at the same time.

I think some of their combos are MSI boards instead. If you call them, they can tell you.

7. 4steve44

4steve44

Hey I put a 120 in the back and here are a few pics to show you the mod I did on the window.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice