PLEASE, please help!!! Can't d/l a THING!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alrightmommy

I was monkeying with my computer, deleting a few things that were
taking extra space, old programs and such, and a few minutes later, I
tried to download ICQ, after (accidentally) GO FIGURE!, deleting the
entire program, when I was merely trying to delete the old outdated
version in my files... upon trying to re-d/l icq, instead of dl'ing ,
it went to a blank error page, with a tiny little diamond shaped icon
top left corner, i right click to see what it says, and it says,
something like missing active x or something like that, and it says
would you like to go to microsoft to download the correct component,
(which i must have had before i went on a delete spree) UGH....... and
so i go to this page, and well, its quite a confusing page, it has all
the 'behaviors'? listed, i try to dl the thing I need on that page,
and it gives me the same silly error page, and I REALLY REALLY need to
dl two very important things!!! One being restoring my icq! HELP!!!
PLEASE!!
Kim

please email me at alrightmommy@earthlink.net

Hi alrightmommy,try this.Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in Ms-dos,at the c:\ prompt,type Scanreg /Restore.Notice the space between the g and /.Pick a date prior to this happening.

Let us know if this works for you

alrightmommy

How do i get back to windows after?? going into dos seems very frightening, havent ever done that, ??
Kim

Hi alrightmommy,just type exit at the c:\ prompt.Sorry i should have mention that.After you type Exit hit the enter key on your keyboard

look in your recycle bin & see if you still have all the items & if you do restore them

Max19

Account Disabled
A good rule to follow is to NEVER delete any files you didn't specifically put on your computer. Only delete things through Add/Remove programs, and only delete data (documents, files, spreadsheets, etc.) that you specifically saved to your hard drive.

Never delete program files or folders. Never delete files you can't identify or files that you don't know the function or purpose of.

Instead of attempting to delete files/folders/items that are eating up your drive space, either purchase a new, larger hard drive or format your computer and reinstall everything.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online