1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ImStumped, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImStumped

ImStumped Thread Starter

lets start 2 weeks ago, i installed a fresh install of suse linux 64 bit onto my system..it ran ok but i wanted to play games and well winex wasn't what i hoped for

after i decided to go back to winxp i couldn't...it would load the system files then stop

luckily i had a copy of win2k pro..i tried to install that but i could only format with ntfs...so ok whatever i have win2k installed but i really want to go back to winxp

i retry installing winxp tonight and still the same thing...stops after installing the files, so i go back to my win2k pro cd and still only option is to format with ntfs, i cannot choose fat32 at all

so after i get it partially installed (now) i asked a friend what i should do to get winxp back installed on my system..he told me to dl a win98 oem bootdisk from bootdisk.com so i do...i go ahead and reboot and boot from A:

my computer access's A: but after accessing it, i get a flashing _ and i cannot type anything

any ideas?

2. dai

dai

set the computer to boot from cd first in the bios
    pop in the xp cd and reboot and choose install
    when the R comes up press enter,this will take you into the recovery console
    try
    fixboot
    fixmbr
    if this does not get you up and running again
    reboot again and choose install
    ignore the first repair option and continue with install,until it finds your previous installation and offers to repair
    accept the repair
    when finished install sp2

3. ImStumped

ImStumped Thread Starter

thanks dai but you misunderstand what im saying, when i boot from from the xp cd it loads all the files needed then it says "Checking your computer hardware configuration..." then does nothing

however when i try to install win2k it works fine but only allows me to format with ntfs

also i cannot boot into dos at all, when i try to boot from a: with a bootdisk nothing happens, no a: prompt or anything just a flashing _

4. dai

dai

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice