1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Post Steps For Burning CD's (For Dummies!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack1000, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I have Windows 98, and unfortunately, I got my computer before CD-Rom burning became such a standard in this industry. Next month or so, I am going to be getting a CD burner, so I was wondering: I am a newbie on CD Burners/Burning, hence the thread's title! LOL!

1. Are there limits as to what kinds of data I can and can not burn?

2. What are the general steps for burning a CD?

3. How long does it take to burn a CD?

Also, someone is sending me some MP3 audio on CD Rom. Do you think I will be able to play that on Real Player 8?

Also, if any of you have tips or tricks regarding this topic, please post! Thank You!

Jack

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Answers...
    1.No,there are pretty much no limits to the type of data that can be burned to a CD,except of course,files to large to fit,or copy-right protected data that prevents the "ripping".Basically,if it can be saved to a hard-drive,it can be burned to a CD.

2.The steps for burning depend largely on the software used,but copying a CD usually goes like this:
    1-rip: takes the info from a CD and saves it to the hard-drive
    2-burn:takes the info from the hard-drive and copies it to a CD
    Or...,a "direct burn":from one CD-Rom,info is read and cached in small amounts and the cache is used by the CD-RW to write it to a CD.This sometimes is faster,but can incur more errors.

3.The length of time depends on the amount of data being written,speed of the write(configured by you in the software),and any additional testing that the software does of the burn.

And...
    Get a better MP3 playing program that REAL PLAYER,hell anything is better than that...,but yes...,it will work.
    I suggest 'Muse' available free at:
    http://winsite.com

3. replay

replay

where is muse on the site (what page no') thx

4. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input,

Most of my CD Rom burning is going to be backing up Office Documents, My Quicken (98) files, bookmarks...(etc.) So, most of the burns are either going to be going from the hard drive to CD Rom, or from a floppy to CD Rom. I don't have any really big files on my system....just the basics.

Jack

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Jack,
    It looks like you will be just fine.The files you want to copy are just for basic back-up or archiving purposes...,good.
    Personally,I like 'Easy CD' software by Roxio,but some people prefer 'Nero' software.They are both good...,and usually come right with a new burner.

replay,
    I am sorry I even mentioned that program now.I looked and there is no longer a free version of it available (*******s).I got the version I use at that site over a year ago.I have a copy of it burned(the full install),so maybe I can figure out a way to pass it to you.I think it may be too big to e-mail though.

Either way...,there are plenty of freeware programs that play MP3s.I just hate 'Real'...,period.In fact,I use an old version (6?)of 'Real Player' and refuse the updates.If it works,it works...,and I don't need (or want) their other crap on my system.In general,I hate aggressive programs that try to dictate what and how the files on my system will be used,that is MY decision.

If you are looking for 'Freeware' of any kind though...,I do suggest looking at that same site:
    http://winsite.com
    They do have quite a good selection of freeware,shareware,and trialware.

L8R,
    GwizJoe

6. i hate ram

i hate ram

I think that Windows Media Player is the best...it comes free with Windows (hence the name) and it is very effective and easy to use. I dont like Real Pkayer either, and it digs itself deep into your system... U CANT KILL IT! anyways... Just like GwizJoe said... a program will come with your burner... is it internal or external...and if it is internal do you know how to set it up?

7. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

So if I want to burn...say my bookmarks from a floppy or the hard drive, can I just do a copy/past from my favorites on the C drive or the A floppy, put in a CD Rom, do an "Edit" "Select All", select "Copy" click on the CD Rom Burner drive letter, and do a Ctrl+V (paste) and it will start the burn?

Jack

8. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

That would depend on the software that runs the burner.Some are set up to run as a "normal" window,some work right thru Windows Explorer,some have their own interface.Either way,you will figure it out...,it's pretty easy and pretty automatic for most.
    In fact some have even easier functions than you described.The burner would have it's own letter (say F: ) and you can drag and drop right to it...,and it starts the burn.
    There is a wealth of "burning" knowledge at:
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/

9. polak

polak

Just a basic question on choosing burn speed. Recently installed Nero Express. Default setting is 52X. At this point am only using Nero to data. If the burn speed is set lower is the quality of the burn in terms of reproduction of the original information better???

What are good recommended burn speeds when copying audio??? video???

Thanks

10. oldie

oldie

Waiting on a reply to your ? about burn speeds "Polak" I am following this thread with interest - I too am just getting familiar with Nero Express and it's use

Have just downloaded "freeRIP" for ripping - works well

Regards - Oldie

11. Deznuts

Deznuts

Burn speed is just like it says burn speed. It doesnt dictate the quality of the burn. It just dictates the time it takes to do it. If you want a good free program for mp3s i suggest you use www.winamp.com

CD/RW drives are very cheap these days if you are looking for a real upgrade get a dvd/r/rw combo drive. With that you'll be capable of burning dvds/cds/watching dvds/playing cds. You can find them for a little less than 200 bucks.

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

The time to start asking questions is after you get your burner, see what software they give you, and have read the manual/help files.

13. polak

polak

Deznuts wrote

Burn speed is just like it says burn speed. It doesnt dictate the quality of the burn. It just dictates the time it takes to do it. If you want a good free program for mp3s i suggest you use www.winamp.com

CD/RW drives are very cheap these days if you are looking for a real upgrade get a dvd/r/rw combo drive. With that you'll be capable of burning dvds/cds/watching dvds/playing cds. You can find them for a little less than 200 bucks.

Thanks for the info and clarification

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice