1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please power down your pc and connect the pcie power cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hardco7eprawn, Jun 2, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Hardco7eprawn

Hardco7eprawn Thread Starter

i recently bought a asus strix gtx 1060 card and plugged it in with a 8 pin to 6+2
    into my modular corsair 650rm psu i have a 970a-g43 msi mother board with 16 gbs of ram it comes up with the error message on boot Please power down your pc and connect the pcie power cable for this gfx card. now either im plugging it in wrong or somthing is wrong could i please get some help or a diagram or video to watch that will help me instal correctly many thanks in advance

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

your board has
    JPWR2: ATX 8-pin Power Connector
    for the CPU power which I presume you have connected

Your PSU has

-CP-9020054-NA-Gallery-RM650-DC-side.png
    you are connecting to the 6 + 2 PCI-E on the PSU - are you, and is the clip on that end of the lead fully in place and the one on the card

I would not have thought it possible, but I do NOT know if it is - you have not by chance connected to fan headers have you
    Untitled.png

I would check carefully that connections are fully made

Is the new card because there were problems with the old card

3. Hardco7eprawn

Hi Macboat, i bought the new gfx card because the one i use struggle to do what i want it to do. the connector i have i plugged into the 6+2 socket i did ensure it was fully in place however it did not work i didnt want to mess around with it because im not no proffessional i was just ensured it would be a plug and play but turned out to be complicated :(

4. Macboatmaster

Did the old card use a power connection from the PSU or was it powered only from the PCI-E slot
    If the old card used a separate power connection be it a 6 or an 8 using the 6+2 then presumably you have used the same lead simply clipping on the 2 to the 6

Does the original card if it did use a power connection from the PSU still work if you put that back

If the original did not use a power connection are you sure you have the 6+2 correctly orientated
    see screenshot
    HTB1CPCIFVXXXXbqXVXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg

In principle it is 8 pin PCI-E yours being a 6+2 that simply means the connector can be used as a 6pin - unclipping the 2 or as the 8
    It is possible to connect the wrong way, although it will not go in easily
    You need to ensure the clip is on the correct side of the card connector which you can see by the flats and rounds on the actual connector

Also CHECK the card is fully inserted in the slot

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Are you sure you have the cable plugged in the right connection at the PSU See attachment Corsair650RM.jpg
    Edit , Sorry I didn't see this already posted on Macboatmaster's post.

6. Macboatmaster

I was just about to say
    and the same image

7. Hardco7eprawn

8. Hardco7eprawn

9. Macboatmaster

I am at a complete loss to understand why you would try as illustrated on your last post
    If you answered the questions asked it may be possible to give you more positive advice
    For instance
    and
    HOWEVER with reference to your last was the CPU power not connected to where you indicate you
    TRIED THIS SECOND

I suspect and hopefully I am wrong, that you have damaged the card
    The pin out for the 6+2 PCI-E is different from the 4+4 CPU
    pcie.png

10. Hardco7eprawn

sorry I don't understand the first question "you are connecting to the 6 + 2 PCI-E on the PSU"
    and no the last gfx card didn't use a pcie its was a gtx 750 ti

11. Macboatmaster

The PSU has a cable that is 6+2 a PCI-E cable the end of the cable that connects to the card is shaped as shown on my last post
    The cable connects to the PSU as shown on my first image on my first reply
    If you look at the end of the cable in my past post that is shown as EPS 12v whether that be 8 pin or 4+4 pion is irrelevant as the connections are still the same on rounded and 90 (right angle) corners.

As I said earlier and repeated
    WAS the CPU power NOT already connected

You cannot easily connect the 8 pin CPU lead to the card as the rounds and right angles are different

I suggest you see professional hands on help, before you risk destroying the card and or the board.
    When you connect power to the card if you somehow manage to connect power to ground or ground to power, not only do you risk the card, but you also risk the board with that wrong connection being carried through the card on to the PCI-E slot in which the card is and then across the board.

Although the main risk is to the card

FOR clarification my image on the last post is the end of the connectors that go to the card or to the CPU power NOT the end that connects to the PSU

Finally I wish you the best of luck but cannot understand why you are only just raising the issue
    when the question was asked on my first reply

12. Macboatmaster

A thought has just crossed my mind
    DID you buy the PSU and the card rather than already having the PSU on the system

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice