1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please provide ABC of REGEDIT

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kgt, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kgt

kgt Thread Starter

Please help me how to work with regedit. I am very new to this topic but is highly used these days. also help me to understand about upper & lower filters.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi, one of the experts on this site (forget who) says "if it is not broke don't fix it"
    The registry should only be changed, if and when something is wrong with it.
    Thats my thoughts anyway.
    Others will no doubt say more.
    ;)

3. kgt

kgt Thread Starter

Hi Blues. I agree. But the problem start when I have to make changes to regedit recommended by IT support professionals like you. I get list of things to do but I do not know what it means or where to look for. one example will be delete upper & lower filter if any in regedit after following serious of steps. I do not know what upper & lower filter mean.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

This may help your understanding of the Registry . . http://www.systweak.com/winreg/winreg.htm

"If it ain't broke . . don't fix it" . . . Ken Lay to Sharon Watkins after being told of certain "irregularities" in ENRON business practices . .

5. putasolution

putasolution

6. putasolution

putasolution

Well, yes, to a degree, I do agree with you, but not wholeheartedly!

Windows isn't perfect, and many tweaks are well documented and can be implemented, with adequate precautions taken to personalise it... but it is not to be done without a considerable amount of thought, backing up and the occasional shedding of tears :eek:

Rule 1: back up
    Rule 2: back up

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351474