1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please someone help me with a VHS to DVD conversion...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ax23, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ax23

ax23 Thread Starter

Hi I'm trying to Record a VHS from my VCR into a DVD in my computer, how can I do that? I try using the program "HT Video To DVD" and an S-Video cable from my computer to my VCR but I cant see the image of the VHS in my computer, what am I doing wrong, what can I do? Please help me!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Does your video card actually have a Video In? Not many do, and the common S-Video plug is usually TV-Out (Video Out) and not Video In.

Unless you have Video Capture (Video In), its not going to work.

Perhaps you could confirm that you actually have the hardware (and what it is?)

3. ax23

ax23 Thread Starter

How can I know if my card have Video In?

4. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

i use adaptec videoh which connects with rca plugs from the vcr to the unit and that connects to a usb connection on your pc.it comes with sonic mydvd software that lets you see the tape playing while you record it to dvd.you can also edit the tape before you burn it to dvd.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What is the exact make and model of your card?

Unless you have Video In, its never going to work.

6. ax23

ax23 Thread Starter

I have a Radeon 9200

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Bog standard Radeon 9200 does not have Video In (only TV Out).
    Some variants of the card do, and its called ViVo (Video In Video Out).

If yours has ViVo, then you have the feature, if not, you dont.

The manual or advertising will say if its got it, if no mention then its likely not present.

8. ax23

ax23 Thread Starter

9. ax23

ax23 Thread Starter

I would like to know also about the USB Capture Devices? Are they any good?

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

USB might work ok, but I would avoid them personally. It means that the CPU has extra to do.

One good way of getting a useful capture card is to fit a TV card. They usually have video capture as well, and the TV reception can be a bonus. (you need a real outside aerial for best results)

11. ax23

ax23 Thread Starter

Thanks I will think of that although the reason I want the capture card is more for converting vhs to dvd than recording live programs directly from the vcr and tv........Do you know whats the quality of the dvd that you make with this cards?

12. vookster82

vookster82

im trying to accomplish the same thing...convert a VHS tapes to DVD. Can someone make it simple and tell me what i need.(in simple english) I would be using my VCR and my External DVD player...currently i use USB 2.0 for it...but im getting a Firewire PCI card soon so ill be using that and not usb for my DVD burner. I think i will also have to get some kind of PCI card for the RCA cables right? what would that be called? (i dont have anything with a video port/jack on the back of my comp.).

So all in all i think i got to get a PCI video card that has RCA jacks with a video in, and get a PCI firewire card for better transfer to my burner....this i am going to do anyways b/c i do alot of burning. also some software to bring all this together...ill look into what you mentioned in your first post barnnyardd. Please enlighten me with what i need or if im dead off, whatever...i feel no shame from people making me feel stupid...thats how i learn :eek: oh, and i got a secondary 250 GB HD so thats not a problem. Thanks

13. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

the adaptec videoh works great for me plus if you want to use it somewhere else you can unhook it in a couple minutes.i lent it to my cousin so he could convert some tapes to dvd and he installed the software in his pc and hooked up everything in about 10 mins.he liked it so much he went and bought his own one.i got mine from compusa for about 50 bucks after rebates.

14. vookster82

vookster82

cool, thanks. I ended up buying the videOH DVD USB. havnt tried it yet...but it seems easy enough...almost too easy... :rolleyes:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/281622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice