1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Wait while setup updates your configuration

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pnbuzzard, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pnbuzzard

pnbuzzard Thread Starter

Hi,
    Every time I turn on my computer I get the message "Please Wait while setup updates your configuration files". I think it started doing this when I installed my new cable modem 3 weeks ago.

Compounding the problem, I was trying to update my explorer from the Microsoft site, and it said that there was already a pending change that had to complete before it could update explorer.

Where does windows store the setup info for configuring on boot? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

A wininit.ini file in C:\windows will cause that. Find files and if you find it rename it wininit.old There is a wininit.exe as well. Don't change this by mistake or you won't be able to boot to windows.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Obviously you don't want to rename it but to clarify this, Wininit.exe isn't need to start Windows.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Bryan,
    Actually. this is a funny thing. I remember a while back did rename wininit.exe to see what would happen and it booted directly to the shutdown screen. I just renamed it again and rebooted. This time I had no problem restarting Windows. This is very confusing because Microsoft says in this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q141898

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I know, I've seen that article in the past but Microsoft will also tell that Systray.exe is necessary to run Windows, too. :)

Actually, my first reaction when I saw that article sometime ago was an immediate shutdown screen at bootup may occur if you have a "pending" wininit.ini file on the drive but wininit.exe is missing but I've even seen PCs with that same senario also boot into Windows just fine without wininit.exe so go figure.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I have had both happen. I wanted to be sure not to cause a boot problem for pnbuzzard.
    I know wininit.exe runs wininit.ini and then names it to wininit.bak

I honestly don't know what to conclude. I have had both happen (no boot and a good boot) to me and I had no wininit.ini on the hard drive either time. I guess it's something to keep in mind if there ever is a boot problem.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I know you did want to cause any problems for them and obviously you were correct in reminding them to not rename the wrong one. I just wanted to mention that everything I've ever seen suggests it's not truly needed for a good boot into Windows as it's name suggests.

8. pnbuzzard

pnbuzzard Thread Starter

Thanks, renaming the wininit.ini to wininit.old did the trick. I was able to update via windows update, and now I know what caused the problem. The wininit.ini file had a rename statement from @home that apparently was unable to clear on reboot.

Here is another twist to keep you thinking. some part of the @home installation is recreating the wininit.ini file with the rename statement. I have to delete it to have an uneventfull boot. I'll be calling Comcast to get the scoop on this and I'll let you know. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks again

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Bryan,
    I understand what you mean. I have found a few things at the Knowledge Base which don't work.Just a couple days ago I tried one of their suggestions and it bombed. WhitPhil said that never worked for him either. I think they need help. LOL

Mo

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Try this. Create a batch file which deletes wininit.ini. Call it from autoexec.bat so that wininit.ini is removed before Windows takes over the rest of the boot process.

Then do call your ISP to get it to stop doing that.

11. pnbuzzard

pnbuzzard Thread Starter

Good idea, thanks Mo.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!