1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pleeeease help!! - Networking issue!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anthonyvee, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthonyvee

anthonyvee Thread Starter

hi there,

i'm hoping someone will have the knowledge to help me out here, i'd much appreciate it!

basically i'm running a wireless network at home, and had a folder on my hard drive shared.
    that folder was also mapped as a network drive.

now, i decided to remove the network drive, by clicking "tools" and then "disconnect network drive", and selecting the drive i wanted to remove.

i received a warning that said a file(s) or folder(s) were possibly in use and that i could lose data if i chose to disconnect the network drive, and at this point i closed anything that was in use from that folder, at least i thought i did.

when i then went to the actual folde that was shared (and previously mapped as a network drive), i was shocked and my heart leapt out when i was confronted by what was no longer a folder called "my data" on drive D, but instead, a single file with no name and no extension!!
    within this file were all my downloads, all myt design work (i am a graphic designer) and some very important information!), most of which was due to be backed up in the next few days!!

basically, drive D is a 40gb hard drive, of which about 4.8gb is program files folder, which wasn't effected, and of which about 27gb WAS within another folder called "my data"... which has not become a file with no name and no extension and of 0bytes in file size!!

(screenshot at anthonyv.net/problem.jpg

my question is, how if possible, can i get my data back!?? there must be a way, pleeeeease tell me there is.

i would much appreciate any help with this, as all my design work and important data is in that folder and at the moment it is just, not there!

please note that as you will see in the screenshot, the filesize that the missing folder used to take up is still taken up, this is why i assume there's a way to retrieve my data??

please help!

thanks in advance!

Anthony.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I know of no reason that disconnecting a network drive would cause any change in the data in the folder. I suspect something else happened to cause the problem.

If you're going to attempt recovery of that drive, I suggest you first make a cloned image of the drive onto other media to allow for a mistake in the recovery process.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice