1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plextor DVD can only read CDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Muddling, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Muddling

Muddling Thread Starter

Hi,
    Just installed a Plextor 712A DVD R/RW and can't get it to read a DVD but it will play CD music.
    I replaced the DVD ROM that came with the computer, using the Master, Cable Select settings,(did change the jumper). The slave is a CD R/W.
    Plextor tech support told me to:
    "In Device Manager, your drive's ide channel should be set to UDMA2 or 4 and Use DMA if Available."
    I can't see how I can change those settings, the drive is under a different icon than the ide channels. How do I do this?
    Any ideas on getting the burner to work. My wife is already regretting giving me this for Christmas.
    Thanks,

2. hansmax

hansmax

Go to Device Manager, look at IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. (click on the + sign there.) Pick the one that your drive is on. If its hooked to the secondary IDE connector (which it almost has to be), it will be on the Secondary IDE Channel. Double click on Secondary IDE Channel. Click on "Advance Settings". If this drive is set as Master, it will be "Device O" on that page. Make your setting there.

3. Muddling

Muddling Thread Starter

Well, Plextor recommended updating my EIDE controller driver, which I got through Compaq which are on the chipset which only changed the mode to something like: Utra ..DMA mode 5 (sorry, I'm not on my home machine at the moment). It still doesn't allow me change any settings in Device Manager. Plextor is recommending that I change them to UDMA4 or 4.
    The drive still doesn't recognize that a dvd disk. It can play music from a cd.
    Help please.

4. hansmax

hansmax

When you look at the Secondary IDE Channel in Device Manager, doesn't it give you that option in Advanced Settings?

5. Muddling

Muddling Thread Starter

There are two Primary and two Secondary, can't really identify which is which but assume the one that has the "Ultra..mode5" is the Plextor. It doesn't allow me to change any setting except; "DMA if available" or "PIO". When I get home, I could attach a screen print if that would help.
    Thanks for your interest, this doesn't seem to be a hot topic.

6. Muddling

Muddling Thread Starter

Hi,
    Here's what I see in device manager and it doesn't let me change anything. I've uninstalled without any improvement.
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

7. rockinmale

rockinmale

I would like to note that the picture you supplied is showing the primary ide channel. Is the plextor drive plugged in the same cable as the hard drive? If its not then the drive is on the secondary channel.

If you havent tried this already. I would go back to device manager and unistall both sets of primary and secondary ide channels. You can do this by right clicking on them and selecting uninstall. Once your finished it will ask you to restart the system since the settings have changed. Restart and windows will redetect all the hardware on the ide channels. Watch and see if your plextor drive comes up and is displayed as a dvd not a cdrom. Once its completed reinstalling all the hardware. You will need to do one final reboot to commit the new changes.

Give this a try and let us know what happens.

Oh, btw what software are you using to play your dvd's?

8. Muddling

Muddling Thread Starter

Hi,
    Did the uninstall and reboot with no new results, the burner still doesn't recognize the disk. Windows is still calling the burner a CD ROM.
    Also ran the Plextor diagnostic and it thinks that it is healthy.
    Is it normal that there are two Primary and two Secondary IDE channels listed in the Device Manager?
    I don't usually view dvds but have been testing with Windows Media Player.
    What's next?

9. Muddling

Muddling Thread Starter

OK, after running diagnostics per Plextor they've told me to send it back.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/312566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice