1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plextor PX-740A DVD RW not burning..Help!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by phixgrrrl, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I just bought this about 4 days ago. I have used Nero (comes with drive). Here are the errors:

error_description = When I try to burn a data dvd, and try the
    Simulation (which simulates a burn in Nero, but no data is written), just to check everything is ok, I get lead in error,
    "buffer too large" (which I decreased to 60 but still got the
    error), and "simulation failed". Also, in the Nero Toolkit/cd-dvd
    speed test, it fails; says "Parameter Value Invalid (052602)"

The drive is recognized; there are no exclamations or the like in the Device Manager. It reads cds and dvds fine. Just won't burn.

I tried using DeepBurn, and when I start the burn process, it just hangs on the first file. I have tried Verbatim DVD-R (2x) media and TDK DVD-R (8x) media, the latter of which came with the drive.
    I re-connected all the cables. The DVD RW drive is secondary master; and my CD RW (also Plextor) is secondary slave. My primary M and S are both hard drives.
    All Nero software is current. I have the latest firmware update for DVD drive.
    I have Windows XP home, sp2; Pentium 4, 2400 mhz; 1 GB ddr dram.

So I am assuming a got a s*** drive... any help? And any other info. you need?

2. accat13

accat13

Just to let you know this drive is a rebadged benq 1640....The 1640 is a good drive but you won't get the full benq support and firmware (the benq updates are better) As a plextor you won't get the use of all the plextor tools because it is not a true plextor drive...In my mind you are left with 2 choices return it and get a true plextor or crossflash to a 1640(this will void the warranty).......as 2 quick thoughts use nero infotool to check that dma is properly enabled and that you asapi layers are ok...I did a quick search on the drive if your interested have a look at
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43 sorry the search function on cdfreaks only works if your logged in...

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

It should be working though. As was said it is a Plex firmwared Benq 1640.

You could try an 80 wire cable if you aren't using one.

You might want to try the latest Plex firmware as there is an update. Doing a Benq flash might not help help if the drive is defective.

You can check the drive and see what FW is installed etc. with Nero's Info Tool.

http://www.plextor.com/English/support/support_downloads.html

4. accat13

accat13

5. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    accat13:
    Errors were helpful. I did what they suggested.
    And yes I know it is a rebadged benq 1640.

MysticEyes:
    From my original post: "I have the latest firmware update for DVD drive"
    I am using an 80 pin cable already.

As was said on one of the pages accat referred me to, I updated the drivers, etc for my ASUS MB (latest ones were from 2003). But then my pc kept restarting itself. And the ASUS tool wouldn't even recognize the 2 cd/dvd drives. Great.
    So, I uninstalled all my burning software, installed the MB drivers that came with my pc (from 3 yrs ago), then re-installed ONLY Deepburn.

Now everything works. WTF?

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Many folks who have a dedicated rig for video and burning do not even go that far, they simply stick with XP's default choice.

7. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I've noticed, though everything works, that my dvd drive is making this noise...it's not a clicking, or the normal spinning up/down noise. How can I describe it?.... Picture an old film reel of home movies. It's at its end and the end of the reel is flipping around and around b/c there is no film left...like a soft flipping sound. Is this normal? A friend says I should return the drive b/c his does not do this.

8. accat13

accat13

My 1640 is as quiet as a mouse...If you have truly isolated the noise to the drive I would be concerned and think about returning it.....

9. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    That's what I'm thinking too. I have until the 30th to return it. Should i get the same one or what's one you guys recommend comparable to this one (in terms of reliability, features, speed, etc.)?

Thanks!!!

10. Hypermagic2

Hypermagic2

If you have a USB 2.0 port you might consider getting an external drive. I have a dvd rom and a dvd burner that my computer came with, but I also have an external dvd burner. The upshot of this is if the burner ever bites the dust I can simply buy another one (internal) and replace the drive in the external casing. No drivers to install, just hot swappable plug n play. It costs more, but it's also WAY easier to mess with. Also it comes in handy if your buddy doesn't have a dvd burner but has some stuff you want that won't fit on a cd, just unplug it and take it with you, no major project involved.

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

The only problem with the Plex 740 is it's overpriced, the 1640's when available were half the price. The newer Benq's are getting a bad rap for reliabilty. I've had no luck with the NEC's as they seem to last about a year. I want nothing made by Lite-on as they are very cheaply made. My latest burner (I also have a 1640) is this one and it's working fine, is very solidly made and supports bitsetting.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/242/1

12. accat13

accat13

I agree in a nutshell the LG is a nice drive...The plextor's are very pricy...The Benq's have not been quite up to snuff lately.....And the liteon's need secondary support from the outside community to reach there full potential (lots of time and effort)My favourite drive is a liteon LTR-52327S cd burner ah the good old days....Personally my only problem with the LG's is you can't use them to scan for errors,but if this is not one of your requirements it maybe a very good solution...

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Transfer Rate and Surface Scan tests can be done with Nero CD/DVD speed and Speed/RPM and Read Error trests with DVD Info Pro.

Solid results in these will ensure media that is well matched to the burner (one size does not fit all).

Media that tests like this in Nero (Transfer Rate) will serve you well.

[​IMG]

I'm always surprised at the K-Probe testing crowd who worry about the various esoteric test results yet play their discs in the various cheap Asian DVD standalones (with their $3 video processing chips). Many in this crowd will recommend the Philips DVD Player as the end all. Hardly.

14. accat13

accat13

Since my previous full time drive was my liteon [email protected] I became very partial to scanning for errors as this really determined which firmware hack I would apply.AS for that Philips drive , I have one LOL and it does serve a purpose in life but it does not play back with the best quaity..But what would you expect for the price....

Attached Files:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice