1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plextor Rebate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bill P, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

Back in Nov. I purchased a Plextor PX 712 DVD drive. There was a $30 rebate so I got the rebate form and sent it off. Two days later I realized that I hadn't written in the SN. of the drive,so I made a copy of my copy of the rebate form, wrote in the SN , and wrote a short note explaining what happened. The first form had the UPC code attached and the second form only had a scanned copy. After about 8 weeks I received a post card saying that the form didn't have the UPC attached. Well of course there was no mention of the original form with the UPC code attached. I know that it was a mistake on my part ,but I feel they are playing dirty ,and taking advantage of the situation. So my friends be careful if you want your rebates.

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Same type of thing happened to me with Microsoft, make sure you do it right the first time.

3. hewee

hewee

Sorry to hear that Bill. You have read those forms over and over to see if you miss anything and then check and double check things again. Make those copies and check again. Some even say if they don't get everything then the reabate is no good. I know you made it good on your end but if they do not put the to mails together they they use that to say NO to you.
    You could try call and or mailing them again because you have copies of everything. Also chech out this site for help. http://www.shoppingspot.com/features/resolving.htm

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've submitted tons of rebates, and I generally have no problems on a majority of them. You do have to track them down at times, and frequently can get them to respond if you contact them.

5. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

I am trying to get them to respond. Time will tell.

6. hewee

hewee

Bill I did every thing right on a PNY video card rebate but got a post card from them saying now because the store I got it from was not one that counted. It was from Fry's and it was a Fry's/PNY type of rebate where only Fry's was the only store that had the PNY rebate. Well you could not get any where with PNY.
    I went down to Fry's with all my copies of everything and they made copies of it. Plus they know what I got and when also because it's on there computers. They called PNY. They have one lady there that takes care of all the rebates and that. Anyhow Fry's called me at home the next day saying I would be getting the rebate.
    Don't know where you got your Plextor drive from but even when the rebate is not from what ever store sometimes it is only that store your get the rebate from what ever company like I did with PNY.
    So try going to the store where you got it from to see if they can help you out.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just searched to find a rebate problem thread.

They are making them more tricky.

Here's their latest CRAP :mad:

Mail in rebate 1/31/05. Receive email 2/3/05 thanking you for your rebate with a web link to check status. Silly me, didn't bother, as I figured since they were thanking me, everything was ok. Got a postcard today saying rebate was invalid :mad: You have until 3/28 to respond.

Called 800 number....oops....postcard was mailed out in error :mad:

I can expect my check within 30 days.

So, if I hadn't called by 3/28, then what :mad: :mad:

8. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

I am happy to reply that I finally received my rebate from Plextor.

9. ~Candy~

Great! Good for you. Thanks for letting us know, gives me back some faith :)

I think they just expect that some folks won't follow up. I think they get some kind of bonus for rebates NOT paid :mad:

10. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

It has become sad -- The rebate seems to have become a marketing scheme where the customer is not actually supposed to get the rebate. They shorten the 'allowable' time or make the form long with complicated requirements (and lets hope you don't have a problem with the equipment) -- Then they institute a policy of deny first (what are they, car insurance now?) then only pay if you bug them enough. :mad:

Can you tell I've been though this before :rolleyes: :p

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Like I said before, I've submitted tons of rebates, and the vast majority of them come with no additional prompting. I'd say about 20% need some extra work from me, usually a call or FAX the information again. There is a very small percentage that require me to get slightly more unpleasant to get through to the service. :)

12. ~Candy~

I've had good luck with most of mine, but I sure have noticed that lately, there is a larger percent that I get a postcard or email rejection on and when you call them, magically enough, it was a mistake on their part :rolleyes: Right. Had I not called, then what? It didn't use to be like this :mad:

13. ~Candy~

Speaking of which, here is some good news:

CompUSA Bound by Advertised Rebates

By Caroline E. Mayer

The Federal Trade Commission yesterday reached a settlement with CompUSA Inc., requiring it to pay for rebates that a supplier failed to deliver to customers -- an action designed as a warning to retailers that they will be held accountable for rebates they advertise.

"The message to retailers should be clear," FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras told a consumer assembly yesterday when she announced the agreement. "If you promise to provide a rebate of your own, you must honor that promise in a timely manner. Even if you are advertising someone else's rebate program, you may not turn a blind eye when that company fails to honor its rebates."

CompUSA, one of the nation's largest computer retailers, declined to discuss the agreement, which settled allegations that the company engaged in unfair and deceptive practices.

According to the government's complaint, CompUSA in 2002 continued to advertise rebates for a small computer-accessory firm, QPS Inc., even though it knew that thousands of consumers had never received their promised money. QPS filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in August 2002. The FTC also said CompUSA failed to deliver rebates on its own branded products in a timely manner.

While declining to give specific numbers, FTC lawyer Kerry O'Brien said thousands of consumers will be eligible to receive rebates, ranging from $15 to $100. The amount of redress CompUSA will have to pay "should amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars," depending precisely on how many consumers CompUSA is able to contact, O'Brien said.

The FTC action is a "wake-up call for [retailers] to make sure they do business with manufacturers they trust," said Mike Gatti, executive vice president of the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association, a division of the National Retail Federation.

It could even lead to some changes in rebates, predicted Paula Rosenblum, retail research director for Aberdeen Group, a Boston technology research group. "If a retailer is all of a sudden responsible for rebates, I would expect rebates will start decreasing," both in frequency and dollar amount, especially large rebates, Rosenblum said. Otherwise, "the exposure will be too big."

Within the past decade, manufacturers and retailers have turned to rebates as a popular way to lure customers to buy their goods, particularly computer gear and electronics. For manufacturers, who usually paid the rebates to consumers, rebates helped push buyers to select one brand over another. At the same time, they allowed retailers to advertise a low price but still collect full price at the cash register, making their revenue look bigger.

Yet for consumers, rebates have become a major source of aggravation, with many complaining that the rules are so convoluted that it often proves difficult to get money back. Sometimes, the paperwork is too burdensome, or the deadline to file too tight, consumers have complained. Or the rebate coupons don't exactly match the product they bought, or they send in the wrong label. In the CompUSA case, however, the problem was that the manufacturer failed to pay consumers even after they had complied with the terms of the rebate.

A total of 1,710 complaints about rebates were filed with the Better Business Bureau in 2003, the latest year figures were available, compared with 964 complaints filed in 2001. At the FTC, complaints about rebates for computer equipment climbed from 1,004 in 2000 to 1,857 in 2004. Complaints about rebates made up about a quarter of all grievances about computers and accessories in both years.

In too many cases, said Gail Hillebrand, senior attorney for Consumers Union, rebates are "bait-and-switch pricing" as promised rebates don't materialize.

C. Britt Beemer, chairman of the consumer behavior marketing firm America's Research Group, estimates that about 30 percent of consumers actually redeem rebates. The lower the dollar value of the rebate, the lower the redemption rate, with rebates above $50 sometimes garnering a 66 percent redemption rate, he said.

Beemer said the FTC action "should definitely have an impact and clean up" some of the consumer complaints as retailers will be forced to be "a little more careful about which companies they accept rebates for."

Staff researcher Richard Drezen contributed to this story.

Would you like to send this article to a friend? Go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...28619-2005Mar11&sent=no&referrer=emailarticle

14. hewee

hewee

That was happen with me in my above post. Got the post card and it said I only had like one day to mail everything to them again to show proof and a phone number that got you now where but a NO reply and there web site was the same. Then after going to fry's they took care of it and I got my money.

15. hewee

hewee

Glad to hear you got your money. (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice