Plot lat/lon points on a world map in Excel?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Riverglen

First Name
Larry
I am using Excel 2000, and I know that there are some rudimentary mapping capabilities, but I don't believe that they are sufficient to do what I would like to do.

I have a spreadsheet with a lot of data that includes locations in terms of their latitude and longitude. I would like to plot these points on a world map. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Ent

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Josiah
Please post the spreadsheet, or be a little more specific with regard its format.

I believe what you want to do is possible by creating a Scatter chart.
Select the Lat/Lon columns, and choose the XY scatter option. Work through and complete the wizard.
Right click somewhere in the grey area and click Format Plot Area. Click Fill effects, then picture, and get your world map.

At present I can forsee two difficulties in this approach. The map has to be stretched out into a rectangle rather than given as a globe or it won't work. And converting longitude and latitude values into numbers that can be plotted could be a problem. Even so I don't doubt that we can work these out if you want to.

Riverglen

First Name
Larry
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that it would probably work, assuming that the map is in cartesian coordinates and the the origin of the plot is set to 0 degrees lat, 0 degrees lon. I may give this a try if I can find a suitable image file of a map to use a background.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts