1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pls help realtek ac97 no sound after combofix

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by michealmyers, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michealmyers

michealmyers Thread Starter

I have an asus a8v-e se motherboard w/ onboard realtek ac97 that was working perfectly. I installed combofix to remove a prob w/ internet speed monitor. Now ever since, the audio is not working in IE or firefox. I can play a cd or any other local audio just fine, but windows sounds, IE or firefox no audio at all. Have removed/re-installed the device, re-installed the software, checked the bios, done the wavemapper registry thing. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's not working. In device manager everything is there, but under sounds, etc.......I can't play anything, play button is grayed out as if no sound card installed.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Sounds in Control Panel and be sure the default device is set correctly. Do you have a volume control?

3. michealmyers

done that. Also have run sfc /scannow which did nothing to resolve it. I do have volume control which I can adjust, etc. Like I said, it works great on local media, except for windows sounds (startup, etc) and internet........no audio at all.

4. net_newsy

net_newsy

5. michealmyers

I've done that as well........ran through it again last night in fact. I also ran a Windows repair.......nothing has worked. I'm flat out of things to do here......I have no idea what is causing this. The only thing I can think of is to get another sound card, but more then likely it'll do the exact same thing. If anybody has anything else I can try......by all means post it, I'm at a loss.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Give this a try. It is not so traumatic as it may seem at first.

Run regedit.

Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the left pane.
    Right-click on the entry in the right pane and remove it. You will get a message sayting "Unable to delete...." It will be replaced automatically. Close regedit (or regedt32). Try your sounds.
    The faulty entry often results from the installation of Corel software, Adobe Premier, or NeroMix.

7. michealmyers

Didn't work. I'm at a complete loss. I just bought and installed a Soundblaster audigy card and it's doing the exact same thing. Please, somebodys gotta have something I can try that works.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

9. michealmyers

WOW, I just noticed that myself at the same time you posted. I copied the file from another pc and boom.. I HAVE SOUND.

Great fix dude........thanks for the help.

10. markmarkma

markmarkma

i read your thread about your problem on realtek ac97...me also i encounter that problem when i used the combofix to fix some problems in my PC and now my sounds is gone...can you help me to fix this....tnx advance

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice