1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pls Help with the system BIOS (Intel Board)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by illidan, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. illidan

illidan Thread Starter

/*SOLVED*/

I need to enable pci card video adapters and disable the onboard graphics adapter in my system BIOS, trouble is, I do not know where to locate the BIOS on my computer :eek: !

I have a Dell Dimension L866r running win. XP (neither home nor Prof.) using an Intel onboard graphics card. Im trying to install a Radeon 9250 pci card that i want to use.

I would be fine now if not for the fact that every 3 (and I counted :( !!!) Boot-ups windows fails to start and i have o plug my moniter back into the onboard slot and boot up in safe mode then restart the comp and plug the moniter back into my Radeon card. I would also like to know (if this is not solved by enabling it in the BIOS) how i would get the splash screen and the XP load up screen on my Radeon.

---Illidan

/*SOLVED*/

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening illidan, It is very ungood to plug a video lead into an operating card or system. You usually only have one whoops!
    The inherent problem you have needs to be addressed before you go any further with an additional card.
    I understand that your onboad system is not booting normally, is this correct?
    With an extra card fitted, power consumption is increased.
    Your described problem is similar to the effect when the power supply is insufficient.
    Qldit.

3. illidan

illidan Thread Starter

well the Intel card is integrated so i cannot remove the port in the back of my comp for that. and the Radeon pci card doesnt have a port for power supply. only came with a heat sink and came pre-attatched at that! As of now I am using the card and am having no problems, but only after I booted in safe mode, restarted and plugged the moniter back into the radeon. And I would still very much like a guide to my BIOS so i can disable my onboard grphx card. (im not unplugging a video lead in my OS...im removing the cord that goes from Moniter-Comp. and placing it in the onboard graphics port so i can see the DOS-ish menu at start up saying it failed to boot, another reason why i wish to set my BIOS to use the radeon before windows starts up)

4. go4saket

go4saket

To reach your BIOS, press the "DEL" key repetedly as soon as you start your computer. By the way, to enable your new graphics card and disable your onboard card, what you can do is start your OS, go to system properties and then to device manager. There you will find the complete list of all the hardware in your system. All you have to do after this is diable the onboard graphics here and install the drivers of the new graphics card and then enable the new card. You will be asked to restart your computer, after which you will see that your new graphics card shall be active.

5. illidan

illidan Thread Starter

Ive done that (device manager) and ill go into BIOS right now...brb for now.

6. illidan

illidan Thread Starter

It works!!! once i saw that familiar setup screen i switched the video card to pci. ill revive this thread if the startup thing continues

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice