1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

plug and play error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pandg60, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pandg60

pandg60 Thread Starter

I have an older Dell pentium 133 that works perfect except for one thing, every time it boots up I get a plug and play configuration error. I can hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup. I have no cards in any ISA slots. the only card in it is a PCI modem, everything else is onboard. I have gone to "device manager" and the only component that it shows to be PNP is the sound card. I have removed it in device manager but Windows reloads it on boot as Sound Blaster 16 PNP. I have no conflicts in any resources and there is no place in CMOS setup that refers to plug and play devices. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks pandg60

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Go to start & then click on help... see in help if you have ASD ( automatic skip drive.... follow the path it tells you to take.

Savvy :)

If you don't have it let us know

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Which version of Windows are you using ... 98 or what?

4. pandg60

pandg60 Thread Starter

Thanks for answering Savvylady, I am running Windows 98 SE , I have Automatic skip driver, but I just get a window saying "there are no current ASD critical operation failures on this machine. It has me puzzled. I have no conflicts with any resources yet I still get the plug and play configuration error at every boot. I can hit F1 and boot to windows and everything works fine. Any help is appreciated. thanks . pandg60

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Well maybe someone else can help... I just don't have a clue

I'm sorry I can't help you

Savvy :)

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi pandg60

Have you tryed removing the sound card and deleting it in safe mode to see if the error goes away? If the error is still there you could try removing all the devices in safe mode, reboot and let windows find and reinstall all your devices.

7. pandg60

pandg60 Thread Starter

Hi Lurker1, Yeah I have removed it through device manager both in safe mode and out, I wish I could remove it physically but it is onboard sound.I have checked in autoexec.bat, nothing there. I have gone to the sound card properties and checked "disable in this profile", that stops my sound but I still get the error on boot.Any suggestions will sure be appreciated. Thanks, pandg60

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice