plug and play

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

anthonykuk

I had a LEXMARK X1180 printer working perfectly on my computer but it was unlugged wilst running and now will not work.
The plug and play recognises it on boot up but thinks its a USB hub looks for the driver and can not find it and declares it a noninstall
All my other USB devises are recognised perfecly - several webb cams digital cams etc in any if my 6 USB ports and show up in Device manager which also shows the printer as a USB hub

My computer is an EVESHAM EVOLUTION
2.5gig Pentium 4.
512meg memory
With six on board USB ports from an ASUS P4B533-v motherboard

If I try to install the printer again the installation fails again at cant communicate with the printer
The printer installs perfectly and works on my other compters
Any ideas as what to do will be appreciated

anthonykuk

Yes
I have tried all methods of reinstalling several times after uninstall
From CD supplied and also from add hardware the soft ware installs but I still get cant communicate with the printer error message

Does your printer show in control panel and does it have any print jobs outstanding? You need to delete these if it does.

anthonykuk

Yes it shows in the printers and fax file
there are no outstanding jobs
I also have an HP printer connected to the serial port this works perfectly but is a bit slow
It has always been there as a back up

I don't have much of an idea here but I would try disconnecting all your USB devices and uninstalling the printer, rebooting and then try connecting and reinstalling it without the other devices being connected.

anthonykuk

I have done this several times and the printer is still recognised as a USB hub and will not install

Try removing the printer driver following the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=135406

The "printers and faxes" applet is in the Control Panel.

You can also follow the the Win2K directions which would work as well, but XP is supposed to make this easier. The registry editor in XP is regedit not regedit32. XP printers are under the "version 3" key and also under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

Look for any SPECIFIC to your printer.

When you remove them and reboot you should get new hardware detection.

>>> I advise setting a System Restore checkpoint before proceeding with this:

Start > run msconifg > Launch System Restore > create check point.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online