1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plug in hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meVixen, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meVixen

meVixen Thread Starter

Hello

I'm not very good at computer hardware but decided to try to move a hard drive from my old computer to a new one. After examining everything I have 2 questions (sorry for possibly stupid questions).

There are no brackets (not sure that's the correct word) that could hold it up in the housing. The computer came with one set, but they are way too small, and the old computer's are too big to fit in the new housing. Is it a problem to keep the hard drive loose (diagonally) inside the housing (aside from if you're physically moving the computer around of course)?

The, from what I understand power supply, in the old computer has 1 yellow, 1 red, 2 black and 1 orange cable, but the new computer's only available cable doesn't have any orange. Is this a problem? I've read in some places that the orange one often isn't used by the hard drive.

Thanks a lot!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    1st
    what are your trying to achieve by using this drive in the new pc

heres the info on the molex connector and the "orange" wire, often not required
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Power_connectors

I use a USB convertor , so that I can copy data off of hardrives for people onto new PCs
    which i have used with about 30 different drives, and it does not have a orange wire

3. meVixen

meVixen Thread Starter

The computer only came with a smaller drive, which isn't big enough for me (videos, games, etc.). I thought I'd save money by reusing the drive from the older computer.

(Oh and sorry about the double thread, I'm not sure how that happened o_O)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so long as you are planning to re-install windows and all the programs
    You wont be able to plug the drive in to the new PC and use it with windows pre-installed,it may possible boot and work, but will be very unreliable
    for a number of reasons,
    1) all the drivers will be different , unless its an identical PC
    2) The windows license if for the "old" pc and not for the new hardware

do you have the windows software or a recovery drive for he NEW pc ?

if all you want is storage for videos. music etc , then you can use it as a second drive in the new PC

5. meVixen

meVixen Thread Starter

The drive that came with the PC has windows installed and working. I just want to use the old drive as storage, as a second drive (it was just used as storage for games in the old computer too).

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what size is the drive in the new PC - they are usually quite large these days 1TB common
    or is the new PC harddrive split (partitioned) as a C: and a D: drive ?

you can put into the new pc as a storage - just check you are not validating your warranty

you could do as noyb posted - just add as a usb drive - get a case for the drive and then copy all the data
    I'm not sure any saved game info is going to work , as thats saved as part of the program and now the program will be on a new PC , so not sure how game saving info is formatted/configured

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

How big is the HDD in the new computer ????
    Maybe this isn’t a project were you want to save a few bucks ... it might cost you later.

Anytime I get a new computer, I replace the original OEM HDD with a better one ..
    clone the original to the new ..
    Then save the original HDD as a backup in a desk drawer.

I like the Western Digital Black series HDDs .. They have a 5 year warranty.
    I don't like having all my eggs in one basket :D ... 1TB is big enough for me
    If you might need external storage ....
    I like this External Enclosure .. (not many have a front panel power switch)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice