1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plug in hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meVixen, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meVixen

meVixen Thread Starter

Hello

I'm not very good at computer hardware but decided to try to move a hard drive from my old computer to a new one. After examining everything I have 2 questions (sorry for possibly stupid questions).

There are no brackets (not sure that's the correct word) that could hold it up in the housing. The computer came with one set, but they are way too small, and the old computer's are too big to fit in the new housing. Is it a problem to keep the hard drive loose (diagonally) inside the housing (aside from if you're physically moving the computer around of course)?

The, from what I understand power supply, in the old computer has 1 yellow, 1 red, 2 black and 1 orange cable, but the new computer's only available cable doesn't have any orange. Is this a problem? I've read in some places that the orange one often isn't used by the hard drive.

Thanks a lot!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice