1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Plugged CPU into wrong power.Large amount of smoke came.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hazeeb, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hazeeb

Hazeeb Thread Starter

Hey guys,as u can see in the title,my CPU smoked.
    I use this old desktop for games and other stuff,and I wanted to put it in another room,so I plugged the same extension cord that I used earlier into the socket and I turned it on,before the computer turned on completely I heard a pop sound and smoke came.
    I immediately turned the socket off.after while when the smoke was all gone I brought the CPU to its original room and plugged it on again .To my surprise it turned on asking me the system password I put,after entering the password there was this Black Screen With an Underscore blinking.After that I turned it on and off or a couple of times after that it wouldn't even turn,now I'm totally screwed,if anyone could diagnose this it would be a great help,better if a solution is available.if any details of the CPU is needed plz ask.
    Hopefully.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Power Supply of the pc has a fuse in it. Usually that would pop first on trouble and replacing the Power Supply would solve the problem.

3. frozenoem1

frozenoem1

Or you may have also popped the caps on the monitor.

Your description of events has me curious though.

Have you checked your voltage at all sockets? Did you get a spike in the line voltage? Did you have a surge strip or ups on the extensions cord?

I've seen some computers survive the hit of surge, and monitor capacitors all burst. Allowing monitor to work for a few times before totally dying.

Be interesting to discover if you have multi pixels on display in about 6 more boots[emoji56].

Or if the CPU is cooked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you open the case and looked for the fault? With those symptoms, you should be able to find the faulty component, and you would thus know which component has an issue (assuming only one item failed).

5. Hazeeb

Hazeeb Thread Starter

Yes i Opened the case and found out the power supply has been cooked lol.Replaced it a couple of days ago and now it turns on correctly and works,no other hardware damage.Thank You guys for reading and replying!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice