1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Plugged In, Charging" But Battery Discharges

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popekay, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. popekay

popekay Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I got a HP 530 laptop (vista home basic) from a friend to fix. It only powers on with battery power and not with ac power but it shows "Plugged In, Charging". If after powering up, you insert the ac adapter, it works fine although the battery doesn't charge.

Thanks

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Sounds like you have a bad battery in the system. You also may have one of a few but growing number of notebooks that require you to have a battery in the system for them to be turned on. Replace the battery and you should be fine.

3. popekay

popekay Thread Starter

Thanks lawson_jl.....I tried it with another battery but the problem persisted. What could be wrong?

4. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

You can check the output of the AC adaptar with a multimeter to see if that's correct. Otherwise it's likely there is something wrong with the charging circuits in the laptop itself. That will require professional service.

5. popekay

popekay Thread Starter

Thanks lawson_jl for your help so far. I've tried up to 3 differrent AC adapters but nothing happened. And for the charging circuits, do you think changing the motherboard would be the best option?

6. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

It would likely be cheaper to buy a new laptop rather then have a shop change out the motherboard.

7. brandonbr

brandonbr

Yup just go and buy a new one or have it replaced if it is still under warranty.

8. popekay

popekay Thread Starter

Thanks alot. I think I'll just get a new laptop.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice