1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Plugged in Ethernet cable, WiFi somehow merged with it

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TanyaSO123, Apr 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TanyaSO123

TanyaSO123 Thread Starter

Hi Everyone, hope someone can help me with this issue as I have tried so many things already (n)

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop where I normally do my work with a wireless connection which I also use on my mobile phone.

Let me first say that somewhere last year I used an Ethernet cable when working on projects which required better internet quality and what I did back then was just plug in the Ethernet cable while the WiFi connection would still be available on my mobile phone and also visible on the 'Wireless Network Connection' list.

I haven't used the Ethernet cable connection for a year now and what happened a few days ago is that I again plugged in the Ethernet cable, but this time my wireless connection completely disappeared from the 'Wirelesses Network Connection' list and the name which I used for my wireless connection is now the name of the Ethernet cable connection. I'm not sure what happened here, but it seems to me as if the Ethernet cable connection merged with the wireless connection.. or somehow has taken over the wireless connection.

I'm not sure anymore, but how do I get my wireless connection back while still being able to have the Ethernet connection on the side? (As option, because I need the wireless connection more than Ethernet).

I don't need them to be connected at the same time, I just want to be able to have the Ethernet connection on my laptop and the wireless connection on my phone. Or to only have the wireless connection for both my laptop and phone, because if there is no solution for having Ethernet and WiFi I would rather have only wireless as I'm taking my laptop with me all around the house :)

Hope someone has a solution! :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming there's not really any problem the most that you will need to do is unplug the ethernet cable and Restart the system.

3. TanyaSO123

Hi, thank you for your fast reply (y)

Unfortunately it isn't that easy, I've tried that already and have tried it now once again, but my wireless connection just won't show up..

As soon as I've plugged in the Ethernet cable the connection works and it is connected under the name of my previous wireless connection. :unsure:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the wireless adapter appear in Device Manager under Network Adapters? If so, is it apparently "OK"? If not, what warnings or errors, if any, are anywhere in Device Manager?

If an integrated adapter is it switched on?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Maybe go to Control Panel > Network Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings and right click disable either the Ethernet or the Wi-Fi adapter to use one or the other.

The Wi-Fi should still be beaming out from the router, and this change doesn't affect that. And your cell phone would have no problems connecting to Wi-Fi.

6. TanyaSO123

upload_2019-4-4_10-12-26.png

7. TanyaSO123

Have tried this as well, but when I disable the Ethernet connection, which is the 'Local Area Connection' in this case, and enable the wireless connection, the wireless connection still won't show..
    upload_2019-4-4_10-14-34.png

8. TanyaSO123

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Intel Wireless-AC 3165 looks like an integrated card to me. It's a USB adapter? Or it's integrated but you are not using it?

You have three wireless connections showing in your last screen shot? Can you explain them?

10. TanyaSO123

Hi there! Sorry for my late reply. Oops it's indeed an integrated adapter, that's what I meant, sorry! :confused:
    Anyway, I have fixed the problem by now so thank you very much for your help!

The issue was that my wireless connection just changed it's name as I plugged in the Ethernet cable, although I've tried to log in to that wireless connection with 'other name' it didn't work so I didn't know what to do anymore. As soon as I logged in to my router with IP address I saw the wireless connection name and I changed it along with the password.

So that was the only problem the whole time! :rolleyes: Lucky it's solved now, so I'll mark it as solved.

Thank you once again!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice