1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plugged in joystick--computer went dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by persimmon, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. persimmon

persimmon Thread Starter

My son was playing a game on our laptop. He plugged in the joystick to an available USB port (computer was turned on, mouse still plugged in), turned around to do something else and when he looked again the screen had gone blank. Computer is dead. He hadn't used the joystick on that computer before, hardly ever uses it.
    What happened? More importantly, what can I do? I know I haven't given much info, but it's all I know.
    Thanks in advance,
    Persimmon

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

When you say dead ...do you mean real dead. like no lights or fan running at all.

Have you taken the joystick out and tried re-starting the PC.

Have you tried just using the battery and also taking the battery out and using just the power supply. Is there a light on the power supply?

3. persimmon

persimmon Thread Starter

Yes, totally dead. I have unplugged the joystick. The light on the power supply is on, but I haven't tried the power supply without the battery. Will try now. Thank you.

4. persimmon

persimmon Thread Starter

Forgot to say, have tried restarting it but it's still dead. No fan, no light.

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Doesn't sound to good I'm afraid......it may have shorted the board out.

6. persimmon

persimmon Thread Starter

If it did short it out, would that be because he plugged it in while the computer was turned on? Or can there be something wrong with the joystick? I have always turned off the computer before I plug things in to it, but not, say, a digital camera, or actually, anything that goes to a USB port.
    If the board is shorted out, what does that mean, in practical terms? Can we put a new motherboard in it? What would be my next step?

7. bonk

bonk Banned

The joystick should have been plug and play so there shouldn't have been a problem.

Unless there is something wrong with the joystick itself.

The first thing to check would be the power supply and see that it is giving the correct voltage.....once that is ruled out then I would thing something on the board and usually a replacement.

Depending on the PC you have whether it would be better to buy a new one as the're quite reasonable .......than buying a new Motherboard and having it installed which at the end may cost the same.

Of course it could be something else other than the motherboard but you could take it to a PC shop for them to look at.......but get a firm price first.

8. persimmon

persimmon Thread Starter

I tried it without the battery, and it works!!! Then I put the battery in and it works like that too. I'm sorry for the false alarm, but this incident happened weeks ago, and the laptop has been sitting in its case ever since-we tried plugging it in a few times but it was always dead.
    Thanks so much for the help!
    Persimmon

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Great news!!......I would say bad connection at the power chord to the laptop connection.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice