1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plugged in, Not Charging- Dell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karthickk3, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karthickk3

karthickk3 Thread Starter

It's been almost a year since I bought my Dell Inspiron 14. Last month I lost my charger somewhere and bought a new one immediately. The new charger that I bought has same 65Watts as in original Dell charger. However, I bought the new one from a local retailer who said it's a originial one and cost was just 700rs(whereas in dell site and other stores, it was about 2500rs something).

After a month, I'm getting this 'plugged in, not charging' problem. Also whenever I boot the windows, it pops up a warning screen as 'the battery's type and (something else) cannot be determined. Use dell 65Watts or greater'. I'm not sure when since this problem is coming from, as it used to come at times when I was using the original charger too, I never really cared about this.

2 days back, I followed this advice- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx62t6qZ34U and it worked perfectly. I missed the last points though i.e., charging and draining the battery 3 times. Now today this problem has popped up again and advice given in that video is not working anymore.

Can someone help me to understand what's the problem is now?

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I have seen this exact same problem before. The video you provide, to me, is not a good fix for this at all.

This should solve your problem:
    - Shut Windows down
    - remove ac adpater plug from computer
    - remove battery
    - Now hold down the power button on the laptop for 30 seconds
    - Put the battery back in
    - Plug the ac adapter back in
    - Turn on computer
    - Problem still occurring?

Also, it is always recommended to get the ac adapter from the manufacturer as buying it from somewhere could mean that there will be problems. This is indicated by 'the battery's type and (something else) cannot be determined. Use dell 65Watts or greater'

3. karthickk3

thanks for that, let me try it now!

4. karthickk3

I tried it, but it didn't work. Any other solution?

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I'm looking for where I originally found that, but can't seem to find it.

If that isn't it, then it is the same exact process except keep the ac adapter plugged in. Make sure to hold the power button for at least 30 seconds.

If the problem is still there, then I have to say the problem is because of the adapter. If the adapter doesn't match exactly what it should be for the laptop, then windows will tell you that the adapter is not the right one, which is the error that you are receiving 'the battery's type and (something else) cannot be determined. Use dell 65Watts or greater'. Therefore, you have an adapter plugged in, but it is not the right one and is the reason why you receive the error 'plugged in, not charging'

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Even though I think the problem is with the adapter, I have found something else to try that is here:
    http://www.avinashtech.com/computers/solution-battery-plugged-charging/

7. karthickk3

This is funny, I followed his advice for windows 7 and it worked. Well, I'm still little scary but. I followed one of youtube's advice a couple of day back, that has obviously fixed the issue temporarily as this not charging issue had popped up again. Now, is this a permanent solution?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice