1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Plugged in, not charging'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccfc1987, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccfc1987

ccfc1987 Thread Starter

Hey guys

I'm sure this is a common topic but I still need help on it. I have had my Dell M5040 laptop for nearly 5 months now and until the last few days its been fine charging the battery.

However I noticed when I plug the charger in it says 'plugged in, not charging'. Usually this is resolved at the time by re-inserting the charger (note: I've been using the same charger and battery that was supplied)

Today it hasn't been doing that. But besides that I want to be able to insert the charger knowing everytime it will charge my battery the way it should do!

Any help would be great

2. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

Have you checked to make sure that the outlet cable (not sure on correct name for it, runs from the wall outlet to the charger) has a firm connection to the charger? How often do you plug in the charger? Did you buy it used? Normal wear and tear on cables can cause a loose connection of the plug/wire connection point, causing your charger to only charge when placed in certain positions. I have had that happen with not just the charger but a mouse and a game controller myself.

3. ccfc1987

ccfc1987 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the reply :) to answer your questions:

1. Yeah the charger is connected fine, the green light is on so as far as it's concerned its working perfectly.
    2. Nope, brand new from the manufacturers box

I have tried another 2 Dell chargers (family have Dells themselves) and still the problem occurs so I really haven't a clue why. Is there any driver updates I can do for it?

4. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

Maybe? *Shrug shoulders* I do know that it kinda sounds more like a cold solder for the plug. Have had that happen with other power plugs at my old job. If you have had experience taking apart your laptop and putting back together in working order then you could try to resolder the power port.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the laptop is only 5 months old, you should stll have a manufacturers waranty left on it. If that is the case I would return it for manufacturer repair or replacement. Opening the case up to check it out yourself would void any warranty that exists. Contacting Dell would be my first recommendation.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice