1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plugged in, Not Charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kuro-Inu, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kuro-Inu

Kuro-Inu Thread Starter

I am more than a bit annoyed.

I got this HP pavilion "entertainment PC" last September so i could get back to school. I upgraded to Windows 7 In Late November and really started to used the computer in January. I began to notice two things. 1) Even though it was a so-called "Entertainment PC," The battery life when not connected is at 20 minutes at best when viewing media, and around 40 when not. 2) When the AC adapter is plugged in, the battery will not charge. Instead, I get a message stating "Plugged in, not charging"

I have tried turning the pc off , waiting and then turning it back on.
    I have tried removing the battery, waiting, and then putting it back in
    I have tried removing the battery drivers, and lettign the system restore them automatically, upon restarting.

The last solution worked for a few moments, the charge went u to 40, then 45 % then it suddenly stopped charging again.
    Now nothing I do will get it to charge. I contacted HP Customer Service. Their solution is to send me a new battery, but only After i give them my Credit card number so they can hold it. I am under warranty they refuse to assist me without me paying them and I cannot afford to.

Is there anything I can to do fix this problem on my own? i don't like being bent over, and that was why I Stopped dealing with DELL, but it looks like i am getting the same crap from a different company. At least my Dell Desktop has lasted the last 9 years without catastrophic failure of a major component,

What do I do next?

Any Thoughts?

Thank you

2. oksteve

oksteve

Hi Kuru, To me its a duff battery and it has to go. Its only going to get worse and worse until it holds no charge at all. You said "but only After i give them my Credit card number so they can hold it."
    Can you please clarify that they wanted you to pay for the replacement battery or the cost of sending it to you ?

Perhaps they might think you are not telling the truth so you can get a new battery and sell on. In taking CC details they can charge you for a new one if you don't send back the old one ?
    Unless the battery is excluded from the guarentee, not sure about US consumer protection laws
    But if they just want postage then you might like to reconsider. Please clarify.

3. K7M

K7M

I had the same problem with a Compaq. The reason they want a credit card # is some people will not send back the bad battery. All they do is hold your account # and if they do not receive the defective battery back then they will charge you. I

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914608