1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plugging an Infectd HDD into another PC - Dangerous??

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Jerold, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

DELL XPS Studio13
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit

So my wife picked up this virus the other day and from what I've gathered, its a killer virus (Boot Sector Virus).... NOD32 found it... win32/olmarik.TDL4 trojan....

This is what I've tried...

System Restore was NOT enabled...so I could roll the system back.
    NOD32 couldn't clean it
    Spysweeper didn't find anything
    Malwarebytes found something to clean, but it just came back on reboot...
    Tried restoring a system image from an Acronis backup, but the virus screwed up the partitions and would list the external HDD as the C drive, so Acronis couldn't do it's thing...
    Tried a new OS install that worked fine until I rebooted and a Windows error message appeared again (caused by the virus)

Anyway.... I found some posts on removing this virus, but I don't have the time to post and wait for replies right now and my wife needs her laptop up running ASAP. I ended up buying a new HDD and installed a fresh OS and it's clean.

I pulled the old HDD and am wondering if it is safe to plug it into another PC as an external HDD so I can either try to copy the DELL RECOVERY partition from it **OR** reformatting and fdisk-ing the MBR to get rid of the virus on this HDD so I can at least reuse this HDD - without spreading the virus to MY PCs...???

Since I put a new HDD into my wifes laptop, I lost the DELL PCRESTORE to factory settings... can I just copy that partition from the old HDD to a Partition on the new HDD and have the Restore to Factory Install ability?

Thanks,

Jerold

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice